So I’ve made a model of a MK17 rifle, and I want to start texturing it. Unfortunately I’m running into a lot of problems with the unwrap. Marking the seams is turning out to be really complicated but there’s an even bigger problem.
The model includes picatinny rails. Which have a huge amount of individual block running down their length. The way I made them I extruded the first two blocks on each rail from the face of the rail’s base. Then duplicated the original blocks all the way down its length.
The problem with it is that because of the way I did that most of the blocks are not actually part of the same cube as the rail base so it doesn’t unwrap logically and the blocks for any given rail show up all over the UV map instead of in a logical succession.
Here are the rails I’m talking about.
And here are the duplicate blocks.
As you can see they’re not actually attached to the rail base.