UV unwrap giving unwanted results?

Hi All,
I am following a tut where the instructor has the model already done and had already unwrapped it. Then he starts in on the model where his textures now unwarp and are UV mapped. Following along, my model was not unwrapped and of course leads me to a different result.

SO I remove all textures and proceed to start over and now as I try to unwrap a texture and have it’s coordinates set to UV I am getting an undesired mapping… IT is off and centered NOT mapped as it was when baked.
Nothing changed other then “X” deleted all textures; started over with a model that was unwrapped as his was and tried to reassign via re open, re name2 and Hit “U” to unwrap and am getting it off kilter…

In the video, I used Smart Unwrap to get a layout that would let me paint right away, setting a margin of .03 to allow over paint past the UV islands.

Make sure you have the textures set to use the same UV mapping layer that the original work was baked in.

Make sure you have the textures set to use the same UV mapping layer that the original work was baked in.

How do I do that?

you should see your UV layer in the Properties Panel under the object data tab, the one that looks like a triangle. The default is usually named UVMap, but you can add different unwraps, rename them by what you are using them for…

I am not understanding. a PIC is worth a 1000…

You can have bunch of maps for this guy. Usually one is enough though.
If you feel you filed to make good unwrap - delete all maps and start on clean slate.

Thanks for the clarity Eppo, a pic is worth a 1000…

on that note…

I did remove as you shown and then went over and reassigned but no result…
Yes the Dirty vertex Png is real and has info, I checked it externally. (Not blank)

Craig,
That was it I was using the “U” > Unwrap when I had set mine as the video “ready to paint” and should have been using “U”>Smart unwrap. Hence the odd unwrap.
Along with that Blender seems to ‘hang on’ to deleted textures, so that was weird. I thought I was doing it, but it was doing it due to hanging on to the old Unwrap…
I also have a touchy pointer. My mouse clicks and unclicks upon checking a radio knob, switch or whatever you want to call a check-off switch…
Thanks