Uv Unwraping tricks?

I’m not new to blender, and I know how to UV unwrap. But I have one problem. Whenever I unwrap a complex object, I take 1 hour just to figure out where the seams go. I’m sure there’s a better way however I have no clue what they are. Can anyone please tell me any tricks they have picked up to UV unwrap things faster? I already know smart unwrap, but it’s comfusing to me if I use texture paint…

Depends on the object. If it’s an organic model, there’s pretty much a standard placement of the seams. A lot of the time if I have a very complex model, I’ll select the faces I need to unwrap for texturing and project from view, then move to the next set of faces that need unwrapping, and project from view and so on. That usually gets the cleanest unwrap for me, and I don’t have to mess with the hidden faces or unimportant ones that always seem to screw up an unwrap.

It shouldn’t take nearly that long. Some simple rules for seams are to put them where they’re least likely to be seen, and put enough to reduce stretching. For living characters, do a google search for animal skins to see how they are laid out flat.

And remember that control+RMB will select the shortest path between two vertices. This is by far the quickest way to lay out seams that I’ve found and makes it incredibly easy.

Thanks both of you…helped me out a lot :slight_smile:

@m9105826: That’s the problem. I can’t find an effective and efficient way to unwrap so that it is not stretched, so that the seam is least likely, and to make it so that is isn’t just a jumble of vertecies(easieir to texture paint)