UV Unwrapping 2.63 Problematic

Hi

In previous Blender releases I’ve had no problems unwrapping all kinds of shapes, but in this new release which was supposed to enhance the unwrapping tools panel, it appears to be broken unfortunately.

For example a UV Sphere:
Preparation: (replace the two polar vertices with edge loops, and mark a seam stretching from north to south.)

In the past “Unwrap” would then give one a nice rectangular grid that one could fit over an entire image.

Now the Unwrap command produces unpredictable results. It’s also inconsistent, so make sure to hit ‘reset’ after each try.

I don’t know if I’m missing something or if a bug report has already been submitted.

Anyhow, please let me know if there is a solution to this.

As it’s a specific kind of topology, provide your example .blend to help people helping you more easily.
(you can attach a blend here, or you can upload it there : http://www.pasteall.org/blend/ )

UVs are killing me, too. How do you clip or extend UV-mapped textures, for example, in Cycles? The buttons that I learned in BI are nowhere to be found in Cycles.

@ Sanctuary: In most cases I would agree with you, but with all due respect it is faster and easier to just add a UV sphere and try to unwrap it than having to download a file. This is very basic.

You mentionned modifying the topology of your UV Sphere.

replace the two polar vertices with edge loops

To reproduce exactly the topology you have is not the same as “add a UV sphere and try to unwrap it”

I would really appreciate it if the forum administrators would apply a policy that ensures children either can’t post on these forums or that they be easily identifiable, because many of us here are serious, sometimes trying to meet deadlines, making our bread and butter, and hardly interested in getting into debates with twelve year olds…

I’m sorry, not for you, but for me to have been willing to devote some of my time to help you on your problem.
Good luck with that kind of attitude in your life, when you will grow up maybe you’ll understand that this is the kind of attitude that will lead you nowhere.

@dexington: sanctuary, like myself, gives freely of his time, to help people like you who have questions about blender. He is knowledgable, and generous, and trying to help you, and you respond by disrespecting him??? you need to find another forum to peddle your insults, sparky, because we don’t get paid to put up with ill mannered trolls like yourself. In fact, we are not paid at all.