UV unwrapping SLIM algorithm

I believe if i understood devs intentions well, after 2.79 this branch will be merge to master and anyone interested can test it before 2.8.

@JoseConseco But maybe you can merge to master locally ? I havent tried that so I don’t know if it’s straightforward or if it will raise many conflicts.

I have to answer here to keep everything open and i know that SLIM devs visit BA :slight_smile:

It seems like SLIM is failing when there is 2 no-connected seams. Do you want to report it or should i? Remember SLIM is branch which not merged yet so report should be made here -> https://developer.blender.org/T48036 :rolleyes:

what status is behind this? they are working on that or it is droped? under developer seams like there was no update since many weeks

@Kramon Aurel Gruber works at Fision technologies since April, which is when he stopped making commits to the branch. His job probably keeps him very busy. So far he was the only one working on it, apart from Brecht doing cleanup, bug fixing and minor improvements.

Aaaand there’s the downside of Blender! :frowning:

Damnit! I am really used to Modo’s super awesome UV unwrapping algorithms and techniques. So I had high hopes to at least see the new algorithm in the near future.
Will this one still be picked up and finished?
Are there any other UV algorithm overhauls in the works ATM?

1 Like

Unfortunately, UVmapping tends to be an area of low interest among the current set of volunteer developers (the SLIM developer was the only one actively working in that area).

I’m guessing by now, it will take paid development by the way of the core team picking this up to actually see it in Blender (this is a major reason why I very seldom use any sort of experimental build for projects. I know for a fact that there is often a greater than 50/50 chance of the project not making it, with the exception being that the developer already has a successful record of approved patches and now has commit rights).

For now, Blender 2.79 comes with an addon you can enable for a nice suite of new UV tools.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve checked the new tools out in videos already beforehand and they look very nice.
They don’t change the LSCM algorithm, though. :-/

Does any Linux user manage to successfully build the branch again ? For some reason I can’t get it to work anymore by following the instructions in the first post.

Actually the branch is not updated the patch and don’t work in the master. Maybe with a old version

ok, thanks

The main thing I miss in Blender for UV´s is a better packing algorythm that can nest islands, is there an addon for that?

Cheers.

juang3d there was a GSoC project about it last year but it didn’t get to work at all :

afaik the program that has the best packing algorithm is 3DS max (seems it still has some things up its sleeves !)
otherwise Maya does it pretty well and it seems Houdini isn’t so bad either.
As silly as it sounds the best at this task is sometimes the human brain.
But if you really need it, Houdini is free (with the apprentice licence)

You have an addon that make this, is really cheap. Search in gumroad.

About SLIM, I don’t understand the problem with packing. Is not different the packing with the unwrap solution? you cannot use the basic pack system?

ChameleonScales, maybe you didn’t test 3d Coat packing, since I consider that one the best… also regarding the price.

The packing addon is so slow that I often don’t use it so I don’t have to wait too long, but it’s still a great thing to have finally after all those years…

Is not slow, I have tried in mesh with 30.000 triangles and a hundred or more islands and only needs 2 minutes to make a solution. Better than move island one hour

So… Is this project dead? (Latest changes are from 22 May, cause Aurel Gruber is not working on this project anymore.)

Too bad, cause SLIM seemed to me a great contribution to Blender :/.

Those times are pretty awful, when you have suites like Unfold3D doing 10 million+ tris in less than 10 seconds.

Could be better, but it’s good enough. The other day I though to write a proposal about improvements in the UV editor tools to improve workflow. But I don’t have enough social skills to send it.

This should be added to 2.8 :smiley:

1 Like