V-ray got rounded 'hard' edge shader.

It seems that Brecht has begun to play with something: :smiley:
https://developer.blender.org/D2803

Edit:
As Ace Dragon pointed out below, remember that those patch threads are mainly for developers and code maintainers.

I saw that too, I’m left to wonder if he’s still working on the Arnold Engine since his Cycles dev. activity has been high lately.

Though I wouldn’t say this feature is guaranteed for inclusion quite yet, as it does mention some difficulty in making sure that the technique it introduces (tracing in and around the material itself) won’t cause major slowdowns in GPU rendering.

On that technique I mentioned, the post also mentions that it might also allow for the AO node to have a color output in addition to the closure one. Though the very thought of having those features is exciting enough that I would support its initial inclusion as a CPU-only feature and figure out the GPU part later (like how it was with SSS).

Also a note for people reading, remember that those patch threads are mainly for developers and code maintainers.

I have tried the patch and work perfect for rendering, but I don’t see a way to bake it and the old method don’t work properly.

I don’t see a lot of problem with speed. It’s really better that OSL shader and works with GPU, it’s only a x2,5 time instead x10 if you compare with OSL shader in the CPU.

To end, I’m really happy with the work from brecht and the answer of developers to the petition.

Beautiful, just beautiful! That’s a lot of learning material.

I’m speechless! Not only at the speed of execution and very promising results, but also users being heard so rapidly! What other dev group does that? Only here, envy of the CG community! Thank You Brecht!

I am convinced this will play a pivotal role in future asset visualization and gamedev work. The current Live Boolean trend started by ZB 4.8 (+modo(mops), max(ancient probooleans)) has the same issue - sharp corners. Other render engines have solutions and appears soon we might as well!

Has anyone made a build and given it a try?

Not that I want to mention Modo again but:

So far the only SubD based solution that remains editable yet also can round every individual boolean edge.
I rarely use it though, at least on my work machine it tends to get slow rather sooner than later and I never really wrapped my head around the boolean hierarchy they use. ZBrush’s way immediately made more sense to me even though it is a very similar logic behind it.
The round edge shader is lightyears faster, though.

Personally I really start to get into ZBrush’s modeling tools despite hating the textbased interface at first.
ZBRush is so daaaamn fast. I could imagine that they are working on a round edge solution as well. They already said that the current tools (like the transform gizmo and deformer tools) are groundwork for features they have planned including more deformers.

Ideally you’d have:

I tested it out and it looks really good!:

I also managed to bake it by plugging it into the diffuse node’s color, then baking the diffuse, but there were a few artifacts on some corners.

Read my message

I have tried to bake the result with the workaround. The first thing is that the result don’t work well in blender (I don’t know why but make wrong normal in edges) but the output normal map work perfect in UE4.17

Absolutely bananas.

Nonetheless we are getting something seriously useful! Kudos to Brecht!

I have no idea how this works in other softwares, just doing some testing with Brecht patch:

Using Principled with sss:

Other test

YAFU, could you upload a windows build? I know to make builds for osx, but not windows.

@DcVertice , I am on Linux :frowning:
And even mine are not portable builds for Linux (I do not know how to build portable builds for Linux)

I don’t know if it’s a side effect of a bug, but it useful. You actually can bake the normal map of a high poly mesh in a low poly mesh if both have the same material only selecting the low poly without “selected to active”.

I think Brecht is reading this thread, he just committed the ability for Cycles to bake out normal information plugged into the shader nodes themselves.
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2017-August/099685.html

This should be able to allow one to bake out a map with the round-edge shader taken into account.

Maybe you should to read the bf-modeling mail list. I was talking with brecht and making a explanation why blender needs a bevel shader, mainly to bake the bevels for game artist.

It is really funny see brecht talking about “we have a bunch of problems to bake normals” and see a patch the same day for this. This man is amazing xD

Here and example of function of the new bevel shader. This weapon model is really old (when I use loops to make hardsurfaces instead of bevel modifier). I have cleaned the mesh to compare.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]495568[/ATTACH]

The old model had

180,000 triangles in base mesh
1,400,000 triangles with necessary subdivisions

The new model have only 30k triangles with a clean and perfect mesh and the result is similar. With 3k triangles I could clean some curves or cilinders to have a perfect shape.

Am I interpreting the implications of this correctly when I assume, that now we will be able to bake normals from heightmaps in cycles like it was previously only possible in blender internal or am I misunderstanding something completely here?

After tried… yes, now you can bake all that

Edit: yes, I have tried to bake the round shader with the new method and works and It’s really fast without the workaround. You can bake the result in a 1024x1024 texture in 2-3 seconds in my macbook when the workaround with the nodegroup needs 2-3 minutes. Also you can bake things like round shader with a height map or combine with other normal map.

Edit2: I have found a “intriguing” thing that maybe could help in some type of workflow. Like bevel shader works with any geometry, also geometry that is not part of the model, and try to adapt to that geometry you can place near of the mesh other mesh making “panels” and the normal map will bake it.

Attachments