V1.6: MeasureIt - measurement tools

add-ons

(SteveWarner) #202

That’s AWESOME. Works like a charm!!! Thanks a ton.

I’ll look into the Python “list” type. This is the Python script I started with and then modified to get a CSV file exported on my previous projects.

I don’t see it using the list type. Seems to simply be using variables and assigning which of them get exported. After the holiday, I’ll see if I can merge this with your script and get it to write the data out. I can’t fathom that it will be hard. You’ve done 99.99% of the work for me already. Can’t thank you enough for that. :slight_smile: I’ll post if I am successful so that the code can be shared.

(nBurn) #203

Interesting find! You’re right, this script doesn’t use any lists, it looks like it writes directly to a file.

One note, if you’re using Blender’s coordinate system (z = up / down), I would replace that script’s “mat.translation.xzy” with “mat.translation.xyz”

Hmm… this should be possible, but might require quite a bit of work. I think the easiest option would still be to modify the print statement in my script below the “def draw_ui(self)” part so it displays what you want in the console. At least that’s where I would start before finding a way to make my script write directly to a CSV file.

(nBurn) #204

I had some free time and did a quick test using the linked code snippet with “Exact Offsets Animated” and was able to get something working on the first try without much work. Instead of printing to the console every time you advance an animated frame, you press “M” and it will print the measurement info for all the animated frames in the “Start” to “End” range to the console similar to how the snippet works. The space bar launch title is slightly different, it’s “Exact Edit Animated” instead of “Exact Offsets Animated”.

Download link: Exact Edit Animated version 001d

It doesn’t export to CSV, but it shouldn’t be difficult to make so it does. To find the relevant code search the python file for this:

elif event.type == 'M'

(SteveWarner) #205

That’s AWESOME. Works like a charm!!! Thanks a ton. You rock.

I’ll look into the Python “list” type. This is the Python script I started with and then modified to get a CSV file exported on my previous projects.

I don’t see it using the list type. Seems to simply be using variables and assigning which of them get exported. I’m finally back after the holiday break. I’ll see if I can merge this with your script and get it to write the data out. I can’t fathom that it will be hard. You’ve done 99.99% of the work for me already. Can’t thank you enough for that. :slight_smile:

(nBurn) #206

Late reply, I finally have some more free time. It looks like you reposted your last reply by mistake? As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the example you linked to is writing directly to file, no lists are used. I’ve uploaded a code snippet demonstrating how Python lists work here if you are interested. It’s a file I originally made for my own reference.

(crystalman) #207

degrees ,curve lenth, volume…:stuck_out_tongue: :mad:

(nBurn) #208

Did you mean radians? MeasureIt already shows angle measurements in degrees. Curve length might be possible, but I don’t know about volume.

(mistercliff) #209

I’m curious how we turn on imperial units? My scene is set up using imperial units but MeasureIt is only showing me metric. Any help would be appreciated. It’s a great addon!

(Craig Jones) #210

I checked this in 2.79b and I also cannot get the imperial to work, even though I tried setting to Feet and to Inches, etc in the scene.

edit: found in the N panel that the setting to use imperial worked there, so it was metric and overriding the scene setting.

(Craig Jones) #211

Is there any way to force Measureit to work with a mesh object that is changing due to vertex hooks or parented armature? I see that if I manually grab a face that I can see the measurements update, but if I use a hook or bone then the measurements are frozen unless I apply the hook modifier or armature mod.

I am really starting to get used to this now, and I am trying to get someone at work to use this along with my own carton unwrap helper to mock up packaging at work. I was just looking at how to use it as way to monitor changes in a pallet model, making adjustments in view to several parts and seeing the feedback in real time. Thank you so much for this addon, it is really a great tool!

Edit: One work around I found is to make sure the X Mirror is turned on in edit mode so that I can shift-click vertex and face select modes and move stuff with the faces while still being able to add measurements to the vertex.

(nBurn) #212

As Craig Jones mentioned, MeasureIt uses the “Units” settings in the MeasureIt N-panel (it will not show up unless an object with measurements is selected). You can change it so that MeasureIt uses the scene unit settings by changing the MeasureIt Units N-panel setting to “Automatic”.

I’m not sure if this is possible, but I would need a sample blend file to look into it. MeasureIt uses a model’s stored vertex positions to calculate measurements. If a modifier or other deformation tool isn’t changing a model’s base mesh, the measurements will not be updated.

(Craig Jones) #213

I’m not sure if this is possible, but I would need a sample blend file to look into it. MeasureIt uses a model’s stored vertex positions to calculate measurements. If a modifier or other deformation tool isn’t changing a model’s base mesh, the measurements will not be updated.

Yes, that is the puzzle here - if the vertex are not modified and then the modifier applied, then the measurit data stays the same in screen. If applied, then the measuerit data adjusts to the new vertex positions. Maybe later on there might be a way to calculate the vertex position from the modifier without having to apply, but that might be a long way down the road. I would liek to say again that I really appreciate your work here, this is a very handy add-on to use.

(Spirou4D) #214

Absolutely Craig, here is an explanation of the units with this wonderful addon:

(Hikaru Ai) #215

HI, thanks for the addon, i have a request: Is there a way to render the dimensions and get some feedback while the render is runing?

(nBurn) #216

I am not sure what you mean by feedback. If you meant a “render preview” of what the measurements will look like in the final image, changing the 3D View’s Viewport Shading option to “Rendered” should work.

(SHABA1) #217

This has probably already been asked but how do you turn on and off a measurement. Sometimes I just want to get the size of and object and then turn it off and go back to modeling but so far as I can see one you turn on a measurement/ruler it stays on. It just does not show up in the render preview window.

(nBurn) #218

If you meant how to remove MeasureIt’s measurements, you have to use the MeasureIt drop down in the N-Panel.

(nBurn) #219

Update! MeasureIt 1.71: Download link

Hi all, bug fix update for MeasureIt.

Changelog (1.70 to 1.71)

• Bugfix: make so measurements will still be visible when a mesh object is in more than one layer (T53766)
  • Bugfix: stop measurements from displaying for non-visible meshes when the following is true: Blender is in local view mode, mesh objects are in a different layer, and Scene Layer Lock is disabled (T54585)

(noki paike) #220

I’m playing with MeasureIt in blender 2.80 …
and I arrived at this topic through the addon …
I’m in love with it …
@Antonioya thanks for this addon … thanks for grease pencil ^ __ ^

and I’m seeing my dream closer and closer …
I am a wizard I foresee the future hehehe

I see when this addon will be a pinch more visual interactive along with the tools of snapping a little more evolved …
:grin::grin::grin: