Valse Diabolique (Audio)

Well, this has been done for a few weeks now, I just didn’t get to posting it, and also it sounded kind of familiar and I tried to figure out why, but couldn’t. Anyhow, here it is, please comment.

The title is just off the top of my head, it is in fact 3/4 and waltz-like, but not really danceable.

You obviously haven’t attended a dance concert lately. Contemporary dance groups like LaLaLa Human Steps often use music with a lot more rhythmic complexity these days.

Your music is very conventional and traditional sounding (not a bad thing just an observation). Now that I know which software you are using to render the music, I would love to hear you dig into it’s capabilities in terms of expression and realism (as Zappa used to say: “put the eyebrowse on it”). This piece as more of it than the previous ones though, so it’s getting there.

There is nothing diabolical about this thing, unless you happen to be one of those ultra-white-bread type who believe that syncopation and sex are the work of Lucifer. Hahaha. I suggest a more appropriate alternative title in the vein of those by the great Éric Satie: “Les déambulations d’un pantin manquant quelques ficelles”.

As a Waltz it’s not really dance music, because sometimes you lose the musical one (hard to explain in English), tho I tried to get back to it.

As for the title. It’s funny, because some people say the opposite, ie. it’s spot on, you can feel “diabolique” throughout the whole piece. However you are right, the title is just made up :slight_smile:

Technicalities, well, I struggled with that for quite a while, until I came to a conclusion that it’s better left as it is instead of spending a lot more time on those details than on composing and in the end getting worse results than without all this work :slight_smile: In other words, I suck at midi programming :slight_smile:
I’ll still try to work on it.

Thanx.

I don’t think that’s quite it. Realising that MIDI programming is a weakness is half the battle won though. But as I wrote, you are improving and you’re getting to know your library.

About 15+ years ago I had an 8-track (analogue) project studio. I was recording a band and because of the demands of guitar and vocal overdubbing I suggested we do all the dums with machines. The drummer was pissed. He told me he had never worked with MIDI and he could not read or write conventional notation. I knew my drum programming skills were next to worthless. Nevertheless, we sat down for a month in front of the computer with him describing/humming what he was doing for each song beat by beat as I notated and programmed it all. We kept the drum set in the studio’s booth so we could go and listen/analyse certain parts. I never learned so much about making music on the computer and composing for drums.

Don’t be afraid to ask musicians for help on the intricacies of a particular instrument. Try to render some of your favourite pieces with your sample library, it’s a big part of composition as well. Webern had to write “col legno” or master all the little accent markings, you’re lucky you just have to call it up from the software and presto, you can hear 20 different versions.

I have a bass guitar library that allows me to switch strings and that’s it. Even though programming with it is simpler than with the better ones and I can get a track up with little effort, the result always leaves me wanting… I know programming is tedious and boring compared to ripping out on your keyboard (or whatever), but when you get it right and you hit the play button… it’s almost better than sex (aural sex?)