Varied line width along the length of a cylindrical object

Hello!

I’m looking to create a bar-code like pattern. This would be for something like a tree branch, where I would like more randomized spacing between the various grooves along the geometry.

In my quest to figure this out, I found this tutorial for creating a bar code.
Procedural Nodes (part 51) - Bar Code in Blender - YouTube

I figured I could combine what he’s doing with something like the Wave node. But I have no idea how to do it. While the Wave node gets me ALMOST to my desired result, I would like to try and randomize the wave spacing a little more than what the node is capable of (which is mostly uniformed).

Any ideas what I can incorporate in combination with the Wave node?

Thanks!
Brent

1 Like

You will find this difficult with just one Wave Texture. You’ve probably already tried this, but randomizing the scale or the vector of one Wave Texture curves the lines, so that’s not really an option. What works decently well is using many Wave Textures. The more you have, the more “random” this will be, although I should warn you it only has the appearance of randomness. If you want more, just chain more in like I do in my node set up

1 Like

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. And yes, the appearance of randomness is good enough for what I need it for. Thank you!

1 Like

The wave texture is quite heavy, this is simpler.

2 Likes

That is a better solution, actually, you should use this for sure! I’ve done that in the past, I can’t believe I spaced that setup. It’s too early in the morning for critical thinking :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, it’s all good. I could use either or, or a combination of both. What I like about the Wave texture is the distortion. I’ll fiddle around with both options! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll also try this!:slight_smile:

I have a solution for the distortion if you want…

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. I’ll dig into this!

1 Like

@AlphaChannel @joseph

Thanks again to you both. I haven’t tried the Noise option yet. But here’s the Wave version applied to the antler that I’m modeling (in progress!).

Exactly what I needed. The Blender community is just amazing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

dang that antler looks really good, nice work!

Thanks! Here’s the low poly version with the hi poly normal bake applied. That, along with these new node setups, will turn out quite nicely!:slight_smile:

1 Like