Vase

took about 42 hour to render

http://www.volcano.net/~nxw/veys7.jpg

42 hours? Did you render it using your texas instruments calculator or your computer?

I have a 533 MHz celeron.
I used radio render, AO, displacement texture for vase, and rendered picture at 1280 x 1024, no OSA. Then resized in irfanview.

right O_o… i dont know much about rendering but what is the point in radio render (can someone tell me what it is?) when i think my old crappy comp can produce the same result in 10min…

Radiosity is, tho put it basically, the illumination you get from light reflected of other objects. It is, in fact, exactly the same thing as caustics, but people like to think of Radiosity as being the effect of diffuse reflection and caustics being the effect of specular.
In this case, it hasn’t been used effectively. I shouldn’t have made much difference to the render time, either, though…

Caustics and radiosity are two very different concepts. Radiosity is a global illumination technique whereas caustics refer to a real-life phenomenon. Caustics are usually achieved by shooting photons at reflective/refractive objects and aim to produce highlights on diffuse surfaces around metallic or glass-like object. Radiosity is mostly used to compute diffuse interreflection in a scene, primarily to achieve color-bleeding.

Ok, isn’t anyone going to comment on his picture. Lots of discussion on render time, caustics vs radiosity.
I remember earlier scenes on blender where the render time was days not hours. I also know that in some scenes ao can take a long time.

But other than that I really like the vase and the water with reflection in the vase. The table could use a bump map. The composition is odd to me as if the table vase is hanging out in space. The clouds are interesting but a bit washed out. The compostion also gives me a sense of mystery or surrealism. Over all I like it and the above comments are suggestions.
Paradox

gimme the vertex count … 42hours… i suppose that the displacement+vertcount killed the thing…i can see neat displacements on the vase,… You should consider making some details in the bg, invent some sort of ancient scene maybe for this sort of artifact and THEN wait those 42 hours + some additional seconds for the bg

Yeonil

Very nice materials!

42h is a lot, really…

Stefano

My Mistake:
I forgot to mention that I duplivert a point light to a sphere, so that I can get soft shadows. This certainly slow down the render. In past, I have tried the area light for soft ray trace shadows, but so far it never gave me quite the results I seek for. Buffer shadows also not give me the right look.

Radiosity is, tho put it basically, the illumination you get from light reflected of other objects. It is, in fact, exactly the same thing as caustics, but people like to think of Radiosity as being the effect of diffuse reflection and caustics being the effect of specular.
In this case, it hasn’t been used effectively. I shouldn’t have made much difference to the render time, either, though…[/quote]

umm actually no, caustics refer specifically to light being focused via refraction, or specularly reflected.

Diffuse “reflection” isnt really reflection at all, it is scattering. the incoming light is scattered in random directions.

Hmm, was this a UV sphere or an ICO sphere? If you used a normal sphere then you made a very big mistake. Try inserting an ICO sphere and then cutting off the bottom half and use the top half and duplivert a spot light with it.

Also, you shouldn’t need to worry much about OSA, because to be honest, I NEVER notice bad anti-ailiaising unless there isn’t any, so it’s pretty much useless to render a large image and then scale it down just to do something that no one would ever even notice.

What button dupliverts a light to the ICO sphere?

It is a UV sphere, 6x6