Vertex color mask painting, how?

(motorsep) #1

How do I setup nodes that will blend 2 textures over a UV mapped mesh using vertex color as mask?

I’d like to paint vertex color, but see actual secondary texture being revealed as I am painting (as if I am painting with that texture).

Thanks.

(jachtarfranko) #2

Is this what you are looking for?

(motorsep) #3

Yeah, but instead of seeing black and white in the view port when painting vertex color, I’d like to see primary texture (in areas where vertex color is white) and secondary texture (where I paint with black vertex color). In other words, as I am painting with vertex color, I see actual textures being on the mesh in the 3D view (imagine as if you are painting textures on the mesh). This way I get instant feedback on how it will later look like in-game.

(jachtarfranko) #4

I use it for painting second texture to the object.
In first window i have set vertex painting and at the same time i can see result in second window with Cycles preview.

(motorsep) #5

Ahh ok, I’ll try it. Thanks. The only thing is that I don’t see second image in your node setup.

(jachtarfranko) #6

There is mix, you can mix anything you want.

(Blender Foundation CERTIFIED TRAINER) #7

Also, how can I use the RED color to make a light area (shadow) on a surface? and a BLUE color to make shadow on the same material? Basically blue will mask out the light.
This setup doesn´t work, but I got it going: