Vertex Color Master

Cool, thanks!

I’m predominantly working with high-res sculpted meshes and would love to see vertex painting in Blender become more like ZBrush polypainting (which is vertex painting). In ZBrush I use masking, expanding and contracting masks, and blurring and sharpening masks to determine areas to fill with black and white polypaint. Then I import the mesh into Blender and use the vertex channel as a mask to color or texture areas in a flexible way.

The drawback of this workflow is that you can only export one polypaint layer to a single vertex color channel, while it would be great to be able to paint multiple vertex color channels with varying masks for different areas, and blend them using MixRGB nodes.

When I try to do all vertex painting of masks in Blender, I quickly reach a point where more than about half a million polygons slow down the UI too much. Hopefully that will be improved in upcoming Blender 2.8 updates, but regardless of the slowdown, more vertex painting tools are very welcome.

You might want to have a look at the Mask Tools add-on, which offers very nice tools to expand / contract and blur / sharpen masks, which are probably also based on vertex colors.

Thanks!