Vertex Paint

Hi! i’m trying to model a plate, just like the ones we put on the table to have dinner. It’s for the engine, i modeled it using spin and looks good. The problem is that when i try to paint it with vertex paint it looks really bad, not an uniform color, i’d like it to look like ceramic.
I tried to use a texture but it looks to shiny, with no shadows the plate looks too flat, i think i have problems with the lights. To set the lights i just set Light in the Paint/FAce Buttons but it’s like i have no light in my scene. So the question is what’s the best way to model the plate (and how do you set lights in the engine??)

One way you could make the plate is light it just as if in a normal render then bake them into vertex colors in the edit buttons.

But lights don’t work in the engine. I’m using radiosity, how do you deal with normal lights when you use radiosity??? in my scene it’s as if the normal lights were out of it the scene, they just don’t work. I select the object in face F mode and Set Light and put a normal light near it and when i calculate the radiosity i leave the object out, but it’s just like the normal light wasn’t there, how do you make the normal lights work ??? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

you can sorta make a normal light add to the radiosity result
[but the result is static]

make your material have “vcol light” pressed, so vertex colors become light

you probably want to textures on this material

enter shaded (control+z) mode, and see if the lights add to your mesh there and the result is satisfactory

if so, press the “make vertex colors” button:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nwinters99/temp/lightmap_final.png

The problem is that i want to move the plate from the table to a cupboard. But first i have to make it look like a plate. I modelled it using spin and it looks good but when i start the engine it doesn’t look like a plate because if i use a texture i just see a round circle painted with the color of the texture but it has no plate shape. If i use vertex paint you can see all the rays that the spin generates so the plate looks like a bike wheel, so how can i make it look like a plate??? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: [/img]