vertex parents with curves, driveing me nuts!

Ok, I am obviously don’t SOMETHING wrong. Let me descirbe my situation.

I have some curves that I have animated via mesh keys. The curves are actually two curves in the same curve object. (i.e. two strings) I have two particle emitters that I want to attach to end of each of the two strings. So I select the first emitter and then the curve object, go into edit mode, select the verts at the end of the string, press Ctrl-P and click on “Make Vertex Parent”. That works fine.

Now I go out of edit mode, de-select everything, then select the second emitter and then the curve object, go into edit mode, select the other end of the string, press Ctrl-P and click on “Make Vertex Parent”. Instead of parenting it to the verts that are currently selected, it partents it to the old set of verts, which is the end of the string that already has an emitter on it. I try again, same thing. I even tried clearing the parent of the first emitter and tryed to parent it to the other end of the string. No matter what I do, it keeps parenting to the same set of verts. I even tried makeing a copy of the curve, didn’t work. It would only parent to that old set of verts.

What drives me nuts is that I opened up a new Blend file to test it out, and it works fine!

WHAT is wrong here!?!?!? :x

What version of Blender are you using? Was your original file created in say, 2.22 and then opened in 2.23 or above? What I’ve found is that there is some low-level incompatatility (very limited), with files that were created with earlier versions. I had one problem that occurred only when I used a file created with a version of Blender prior to 2.22?, but worked fine if I did the exact same thing in 2.22 or 2.23 (I apologize, I can’t remember the exact version where this problem occurred).

Nope, created in v2.22 and I am working with it in v2.22.

I seem to have found the source of the problem, but it still dosn’t expain why the problem is there in the first place.

This curve is split in the middle, to create 2 pices of string. I can parent fine to one pice of the curve. Whenever I try to vertex parent anything to the other pice of the curve, it always attaches it to the very first vertex on the other pice.

I wish I knew why it is doing this.