Vertex snap to angled edge while constrained to axis

I’m looking to increase my workflow and lately I’ve been running into this problem constantly. While knife tool and knife project work great and solve the problem they can be finicky a lot of times requiring more messing around to get the cuts to work.

This image illustrates that I want to snap the vert on the to the edge along the y-axis (circled in red) but none of the snap tools will do that on a slanted edge.

So basically I’m asking if there is a tool, addon, ect that can do this if there isn’t a fast way to do it natively and I’m blind. I’m honestly baffled that the snap to edge tool doesn’t do it natively upon intersections, with a option for sliding along the edge like it currently does.

Your image and explanation is not clear, edge snap works fine with axis constraints. You should define the problem more clearly so we can help

This might help better explain the problem.

The edge snap does work but it only slides the snap along the edge it doesn’t snap to it where it intersects. I know for a fact that the vert is intersecting with the edge and I wish it would snap to the intersection.

Again not very clear, but from what I understand the vertex you are trying to snap is too far away in the axis you are pulling. Try snaping to the edge by clicking and holding the center of the transform gizmo instead of and axis arrow.

I am afraid this is not possible in Blender. What you are looking for is something like the ‘nearest’ or ‘ortho’ snap in CAD. What you can do is leave that vertex in the path of that edge by snapping to beginning or end of that edge while using constraint, but that vertex will not become a part of that edge. What you are looking for is quite natural, but so far, only the addon i mentioned comes near that functionality. Especially the LINE tool.

I am afraid this is not possible in Blender. What you are looking for is something like the ‘nearest’ or ‘ortho’ snap in CAD. What you can do is leave that vertex in the path of that edge by snapping to beginning or end of that edge while using constraint, but that vertex will not become a part of that edge. What you are looking for is quite natural, but so far, only the addon i mentioned comes near that functionality. Especially the LINE tool.

Thanks guys, that’s what I needed to know. And ya Okavango, I know it won’t be part of the edge I just wanted it to snap at the intersection so I could delete the edge and reconnect it to that vert. I’ll just keep using the old knife tool for this sort of thing then, thanks again.

Then snap to vertices either above or below intersection point while constraining to Y if you are interested in length.
Better yet subdivide edges on both ends, use F to create face or edge, GG to adjust vertical position of the edge.

Get rid of the ngons to use Ctrl-R loopcut in the end.

If its just snapping you want, try this. While edge snap is enabled hold the transform gizmo arrow of the axis you want to move, then drag to the edge you want to snap you will see the snap circle snap to the edge then press “Y” key twice. It should snap now.

example : Drag transform gizmo arrow to edge don’t let go and press y + press y again.

1 Like

Hey guys back again, I actually just found something out. While I was messing around on Blender at my school I tested the problem out and lo and behold the vert is snapping how I wanted it to. My guess is it’s a newer version of blender 2.77 to be exact and they updated the snap tools. I can’t remember off my head which version of Blender I have at home (2.6 something) but when I get home today I’ll download the latest and see if it is still working how I hoped. I’ll upload a gif to show what I mean as soon as I can. I am very grateful for all your guys help.

@eppo
Unfortaintly [GG] isn’t accurate enough for my needs, I needed very precise snapping.

@yii7
Right now I can’t test the double Y function doesn’t seem to make a difference on version 2.77 because like I said it’s snapping how I wanted it too. When I get home I’ll test it on my old version to see what it does.

You can create a new TransformOrientation and grab along new axis by numbers with extreme precision then ;).

Get rid of the silly ngons first, do not create unnecessary modeling problems for yourself.

I have tried normal, local, and other orientations but I don’t think I’ve ever tried snapping the vert to the edge and manually imputing its height value to match other verts that are on the desired height, I’ll give it shot. Even though it might be redundant if these new snap features continue to work for me, its good to know if I’m working in other software that doesn’t have said features, Thanks! The model doesn’t actually have any ngons sorry if it looks like it does its in isometric and some of the verts are being hidden by the limit selection visibility feature.

Edit: Oh besides the edge I made so I could snap to it (the only ngon). :wink: The plan was to delete the edge as soon as the vert was in place and connect everything to the vert to create the quads.

Maybe i do not see a big picture but to me this looks like ngon. The rest is where you set a new Transform Orientations.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=104450

Edit: i was wrong, there is no ngon i thought i see. Then why Ctrl-R loopcut doesn’t work for you?

If you want to align a vertex to another vertex > Choose “Active Element” from Pivot Point drop down menu. Then select the vertex you want to align then the active select the reference vertex > press “S” + X or Y or Z + 0

In the last gif, you’re extruding vertex from some point… If all other fails, extrude vert past the edge you try to snap, extrude new edge Z and separate face into a new plane.
Use the plane for a Knife Project from a top ortho view.

I created the problem on the mesh just to illustrate what I wanted to achieve. Not as a question of how to model but rather as a technical skill to increase my work flow, the rest of the mesh is inconsequential. Sorry if that was confusing.

Ya that’s how I’ve been doing it. :wink:

I found something that’s kind of interesting about how snapping behaves on edges with different angles. This video I throw together demonstrates it better and I’m not sure what to make of it but hey I learned something.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WLnJXzJ52LT182WHdYRUZfRWM/view?usp=sharing