VertexWeightMix and megring multiply Vertexgroups

HI, i have some issues with merging VertexWeighs from more then 2 Vertexgroups.

Specificly i got a character with bone number i need to optimaze, for with im using VertexWeightMix to transfer VertexWeighs. Problem starts when i got 10/20 Vertexgroups to transfer there weights to a single Vertexgroups with is a rly time consuming repetitive proces :(.

Tried to speed this process up by using a simple script that sets and applies the modifiers but it still needs manual renaming for specific vertex groups.

import bpy

##################

bpy.ops.object.modifier_add(type=‘VERTEX_WEIGHT_MIX’)

bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].vertex_group_a = “Bone”
bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].vertex_group_b = “Bone.003”

bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].mix_mode = ‘ADD’
bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].mix_set = ‘ALL’

bpy.ops.object.modifier_apply(apply_as=‘DATA’, modifier=“VertexWeightMix”)

##################

bpy.ops.object.modifier_add(type=‘VERTEX_WEIGHT_MIX’)

bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].vertex_group_a = “Bone”
bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].vertex_group_b = “Bone.001”

bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].mix_mode = ‘ADD’
bpy.context.object.modifiers[“VertexWeightMix”].mix_set = ‘ALL’

bpy.ops.object.modifier_apply(apply_as=‘DATA’, modifier=“VertexWeightMix”)

Is there some easy way to solve this tedious problem? something that doesnt need a usage of the VertexWeightMix modifier?

Or maybe a script that transfers VertexWeights from disabled or deteted bone to the parent??

I have a loooot of character to go through and some sort of better solution would save me alot of time THX ;]

GYAZ Animation Tools - Rig Reducer

1 Like

Yep ;] thats precisley what i need THX!

I did run in to a issue, it always removes the bones doesn’t matter if i uncheck it in the “remove bones” option
or am i missing something?
im using blender 2.79 atm

This is a great script for optimization also can be easily used to control the automatic weights with helper bones.

this should be in blender by default XD

Thanks for the report. I updated the addon.

It’s worth mentioning that it will only delete 18 levels of bone descendants ('cause I’m not a programmer) but it should be enough in most cases.

CAn you explain what it can do, there is no info at all?

The addon does many things. Functions are listed in addon preferences with a very brief description. If you’re interested in one of them in perticular, you can ask me about it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for a merge vertex group options. Solved it now with the modifier which does that