Vertical header?

Hi

I know there is so much debate about Blender’s UI. As I am a student and don’t have a choice, I’m happy to learn Blender as it is.

Instead of getting into a heated general argument, I want to ask one thing, where is the vertical header? Blender’s UI is meant to be “non-overlapping” but if you make a thin vertical panel for example, the header stays horizontal so in the buttons window for example, the render panel icon goes off the edge. Hardly “non-overlapping”.

I have a similar problem with accessing the layer buttons if I have vertically split the screen with a window on the left. Of course, I use the keyboard to access layers but it still looks rather ugly.

Naturally, you could get rid of the header and access the various panels with the F keys (for the buttons window anyway) but for the 3D view, the shortcuts aren’t all that obvious (though I know most of them by now).

The new “maximise window” shortcut is useful (Shift + Space) but honestly, I would rather not have parts of the interface overlapping in the first place.

I think the headers should have an option to be displayed vertically and to scale so as to have all the icons visible on them at all times. Other than that, I love splitting windows and customising the UI.

Thank you,

Koba

P.S> I did a search to see if this had been brought up before but it didn’t look like it has.

It’s been brought up on the blender.org forums a few times.

It is an important addition to gui, so I hope it happens soon.

I can’t imagine it would be difficult to implement (just reworking whats already there and adding the mechanism to select between vertical/horizontal), but I expect quite a lot of code would have to be reworked as most controls used in the headers would need to be modified to draw/interact in a rotated orientation.

A releated feature that would also be nice to have is the option for muilti-line headers, so if it won’t all fit on the one line, it breaks onto another line. It would save constantly scrolling the header to get to the layer buttons, etc.

EDIT: Maybe broken is planning vertical headers for his gui update?

I have only one thing to say but I must say it : I am offended by you sig !..

… as a vegetarian.

Jean

Excellent.

I agree with the multiline thing too. Whether you agree with Blender’s UI philosophy or not isn’t the issue (personally I do) - but without fixing the display of headers, the job seems incomplete.

One other issue I have is that while being able to pan and zoom into the buttons window is very cool, you shouldn’t be allowed (once again) to zoom in to the point that buttons go off the edge of the window/screen.

Koba

Besides the simple fact that it is pretty much the responsibility of the user to zoom in ‘too much’ : maybe he/she doesn’t really have a choice and just needs to go beyond the borders sometimes, someone with bad eyesight or a small screen for example.
Besides that, what you are proposing would make it impossible to have smaller windows than the width or height of the panels at their smallest (zoomed out) size.

Jean

I have only one thing to say but I must say it: I am offended by you sig !..as a vegetarian. [/quote]Vegetarians don’t like the Fifth Element?

You can pan the header with the middle mouse button but I agree that having the option for a vertical header would be nice.

GreyBeard

Besides the simple fact that it is pretty much the responsibility of the user to zoom in ‘too much’ : maybe he/she doesn’t really have a choice and just needs to go beyond the borders sometimes, someone with bad eyesight or a small screen for example.

I suppose you are right - perhaps the alternative would be to allow you to enlarge/shrink individual panels so you can enlarge one particular button on a particular panel (if you wanted) while the size of the other panels would be automatically adjusted to keep them completely visible within the given window. Essentially, the constrained zooming would apply to all the panels in the window while to enlarge individual panels, you could use S and G on them like they were objects. This would probably be too much hassle though and would result in the need to constrain where you split your windows.

Hope I am making sense. Otherwise, I can live with it as it currently is.

Koba

Of course you know that you just have to hit the HOMEkey at any moment to adjust the panels exactly to the size of the screen area (window) they’re in.

That has the disadvantage of resetting the position of the panels too though.

Jean

Of course you know that you just have to hit the HOMEkey at any moment to adjust the panels exactly to the size of the screen area (window) they’re in.

Slaps forehead

Koba

P.S> I knew that!

Oh you’re funny…
:smiley:

Jean