Vertices index

Hi everyone ! I’m new on this forum and I don’t know if it’s the place (modeling/nodes or code) but if someone could give me his advice, it will be helpfull for sure.

I add a simple plane, subdivide it by 10, and checked the vertices index with the command bpy.app.debug = True

How can I simply sort the vertices order to be ascending ? (0,1,2,3,4…etc)…

I know there’s a command in the mesh menu sort-x or sort-z, etc…but result is not good. There’s always an error (my bad I suppose).

Maybe there’s a way to do that with Nodes ? (Animation nodes or Sverchok ?)…

I believe this is the wrong or not a good question because i have to ask you: What for???
The index ist just internal. But if you want to to do some python scripting this would be better asked in a the coding sub forum… (Still: What for?)

I doubt that this is possible.
The faces are “attached” to specific vertices which means that if you changed the vertex order the faces would be changed in unwanted ways as well.

In this particular case however, you could simply mirror the geometry along the x axis and then flip the normals.

If this is just an example and you want to control indices on more complex meshes later on you could allways create your mesh in Python with your own set of rules.
You´d to that with from_pydata:
https://docs.blender.org/api/2.79/bpy.types.Mesh.html?highlight=from_pydata#bpy.types.Mesh.from_pydata

Well, I know that hence the question “what for?”
It makes no sense to discuss about such a short question because ‘1520’ asked “can i” but didn’t told us the purpose or why this should be a problem.
So ‘1520’: tell us more.

Sorry for the delay, I was thinking to replicate this style of polygonized work but in Blender…and dive in nodes to better understand them…First I tried to replicate the workflow of these sympathetic nerdy guys in 2.8 step by step, but vertex indices sorting give me this error…I verified In 2.79b it’s perfect. I found sverchok and animation nodes super interesting to resolve this kind of work and I look at the tuts from blendersushi right now…

workflow :

• Create a plane
  • make it size of your image
  • scatter points on it
  • simplify color range by polygon…
  • etc…

I know its Houdini, but I think its possible in Blender nodes (easier for me) or Python (sure not my cup of tea but I try).

Maybe I can change of “room” and move my topic in Code part of the forum…
:slight_smile:

Anyway, thx a lot for your answers.

Now i understand what @1520 is trying…
Just a quick shot: try decimate modifier on a grid with different ratio. Maybe animate it. To get get the color for vertice from image … well thats another story… doing that with animation nodes or sverchok another other story … :wink:

Yes I must admit my question was a bit obscure without ref…And like you said I know its possible “by hand” using modifiers and a polygonized image of the paint done in Gimp or Ps or whatever generator you have…But I wanted to try procedurally (what a stubborn person I am)…and never have to do that again ! :smile:

If you are following the blendersushi tuts i guess you already stepped through “Vector Sort” node.
Also in Sverchok you can find “Image Decompose” node (right now still only in the 2.79 version) or “Sample UV color” node to get the color and “Vertex Color” to output that color to the Shader :smiley:
Long life to procedural modelling!

Thank you vicdoval, I found this tuto on the subject but profSushi make the triangulation by hand (It’s already great compare to my early tests)…You give me a great indication on where to search, I didn’t know these nodes ( “Image Decompose” “Sample UV color” “Vertex Color” ). So, I’m going to look at these a bit this weekend when I get time to do it… :slight_smile:

(I found this piece of software too, but for a non procedural workflow only)…

http://dmesh.thedofl.com/

thx again, have a good weekend !

1 Like