Very Basic - manuevering in viewport

Hey,

I’m spend the day doing the part (1. Body) part of a Manga Girl in Blender 2.6.2. Mainly because I can manuever and zoom in and out on the mesh I’m working on.

One of the reasons is my middle mouse button doesn’t seem to work, it seems <shift> / ,control> B seem to be very basic to zooming in & out and such.

I’m going to check my Windows 7 mouse setting but can someone tell me how to:

1. Use mouse to create a bounds and then the viewport zooms into that bounds.

2. Use mouse to circle around an object

3. A shortcut key that when pressed zooms all objects in the scene as big as they’ll get without clipping into the viewport

Thanks.

OK, so my mouse button was changed and now the middle button can zoom in and out and circle and object…

But how to easily do

1. Shortcut key to ‘fit to viewport’ the selected mesh?

2. Also, how do you just move straight up, down, left, and right once you’ve got an object zoomed to the size you want?

3. How do you keep the cmdtool window from showing up that starts ‘bender.exe’. It was there last release? Is something wrong with the install?

So I’ve found I can:

Gx (MMB) - move along x axis
Gy (MMB) - move along y axis
Gz (MMB) - move along z axis

And the same concept for Rx, Ry, Ry along rotate.

Take all is fine but say I want to move in the viewport and not the object itself?

1. Shortcut key to ‘fit to viewport’ the selected mesh?

2. Also, how do you just move straight up, down, left, and right once you’ve got an object zoomed to the size you want?

3. For whatever reason on 5. above the cmdtool window didn’t should up when I opened Blender last time.

Shift + middle mouse wheel moves up and down, Ctrl + middle mouse wheel moves left or right.
Numpad . will center your view on selected.

Cool. Thanks alot! There must be 500 shortcuts I’m trying to learn and to try and keep up with the tutorials and find the shorcuts that have changed between Blender 2.4.6 and Blender 2.6.2 is tough.

One other question:

1. I’m finally on Part 2 - The Head

– so I have four faces selected I’m supposed to pull into the outline of her chin but it creates a rough ‘chin’ so he says to press ‘O’ to smooth except when try if of look on a keyboard short template I have (for 2.5.0 not 2.6.2) ‘O’ doesn’t do ‘smooth’

– further more he’s doing something very fast and not at all clear - just ‘waving’ his mouse - a circle appears and grows larger or smaller seeming to select what’s in the circumference and then he pulls or pushes the selected region into ‘shape’

I can’t find anywhere that talks about ‘O’ and smoothing. In the Mesh Menu I see ‘Smooth’

under:

‘Proportial Editing Falloff’ -> ‘Smooth’ (a checkbox to enable or disable - currently disabled)
‘Faces’ -> ‘Shade Smooth’

Anyone know?

Especially the bit where he’s selected via a circle and pushing/pulling (and it seems while he is doing this it is ‘smoothing’ automatically, maybe he left it on?

– further more he’s doing something very fast and not at all clear - just ‘waving’ his mouse - a circle appears and grows larger or smaller seeming to select what’s in the circumference and then he pulls or pushes the selected region into ‘shape’
That is how the proportional editing works (shortcut O). The default falloff for proportional editing is Smooth
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Proportional_Edit

Smooth can have various meanings

Attachments

Very cool of you all…

in my attempt to ‘play’ with all the shortcuts to see what they do maybe I turned off ‘Proportional Editing Falloff’. Turning it back on, makes the ‘O’ shortcut work.

Thanks!

Ciao

The Okey is a toggle to turn proportional editing on or off. You probably hit it by mistake.

I’ve going to post all the places I get stuck on this thread and then summarize the shortcuts when I finish. As a newby following a good tutorial it’ll probably be helpful to others.

How does the author of the tutorials do this ‘circle select’ / ‘push/pull’ thing as shown from the fram capture of the tutorial?

You can see the circle in the author’s right hand viewport.

OK, I found the circle is ‘S’ for scaling…