Very basic vertex bevel problem

OK, this is very frustrating because this is a very simple problem and I don’t know why it is happening.

In example 1) I just created a very simple flat 2d quad poly made up of only 4 points that has no duplicated geometry or scaling issues.

In example 2) I just selected the verts and tried to bevel them evenly and this is the result.

I am doing this in Blender 2.83 but have also tried this in Blender 2.93 as well with the same problem.

It doesn’t matter if I choose ‘Offset’, ‘Width’ or ‘Depth’, I still get the same disproportionate bevel. Even if I go back into Object mode and apply all the transformations, I still get the same result.

I’m working on something where I need the vertex beveling to be even from the selected points and I’ve never had this problem before. I mean, this is such a simple shape. This should not be a problem.

Is there a setting I am missing? Do I have something already activated that I shouldn’t? Is there an addon which will gaurantee the correct even beveling that I want?

Anyone?

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

If you’re on a rectangular plane I guess you’re gonna always have this problem, cause they slide proportionally along the edges.
First bevelling the square and then scaling it into a rectangular plane?
(or, even better, take half and dragging it away)

did you apply scale to the object?
ctrl A

Apply scale: top object.

No applied scale: bottom result.

both with vertex bevel.

It shouldn’t because A) because of the ‘width’ option (which STILL gave me disproportion anyway when I chose it) and B) I did a test with a single face from a cube that I scaled on the X, applied the transformation so that it was rectangular then tried the vertex bevel and it DID give me the result that I wanted. But, when I used the same square polygon plane as in B), went into edit mode and reshaped the vertices to be rectangular and tried the vertex bevel, I got the disproportion.

Yes. I mentioned this twice in my original message. I just think that something is going on behind the scenes that I don’t know about, code-wise. It might be an ‘edit mode’ vs ‘object mode issue’ or even something to do with global or local scale issues. Honestly, I don’t know and it sucks.

I’m going to be working on 50+ models and I need to get the bevel to work correctly (without some tedious workaround)

Thanks for your input, guys, anyway.

Paul
(mix_mash)

1 Like

Could you pleasr provide a simple file where this, error exists.

Ok, what happens if you Ctrl Shift B instead?

Ahhhhhh!!! I want to punch my brain out because I found my stupid mistake!!!

I had been ONLY working from the front view for so long on previous projects and ASSUMED that the shapes were all flat on the Y axis that I didn’t realise that the mesh was skewed on the X axis, making it seem like the bevel was not working evenly.

This just goes to show at how working in one way can make you lose sight of such common mistakes.

Sigh…

I apologise for wasting all of your times and appreciate the fact that any of you were willing to help me with such a dumb issue.

Thanks.

Paul
(mix_mash)

2 Likes