vid card for Cycles

What’s the biggest, most baddest @ss video card for Cycles? Nvidia Quadgillion-core? j/k

Just wondering what to request from “Santa”. :yes:

oh, Happy Holidaze, Blender Buds!

I think there are 3 variables to consider here :

1. Amount of RAM
  2. Number of CUDA cores
  3. Price
    I would select the highest ram Nvidia card with highest possible cuda cores that has the best price.
    If you consider geforce series you can find cards up to 6GB of RAM and 3072 Cuda cores.
    If you consider quadro or tesla you can get the ram up to 12GB but they are very expensive.
    It all depends on how much you are willing to spend for it. I would consider a GTX 680 with 4GB ram and 1536 cuda cores a very capable card with a reasonable price. A much cheaper alternative would be GTX 660 with 3GB RAM and 1344 cuda cores. Almost half the price and similar performance but slightly less ram. Decide about the ram according to the type of work you will do. If you will have millions of polygons and giant textures, then even the 6GB cards might choke on such heavy scenes.
    Hope this helps.

(Since Kepler architecture is new and cycles is better optimized for Fermi architecture 5xx series cards currently have better performance. But 6xx cards support more RAM and are more future proof)