Video as texture

Can someone tell me how I can use a video as a texture? It doesn’t need to be curved, I just want to be able to move a video around in 3D.

Select the plane in object mode, go to textures “image”, click “Movie” and than load image: click your movie.

Good idea to make the material shadeless as well.

GreyBeard

Mmm, I just keep getting “ERROR: Not an anim”.

try changing the format of the movie. i dont think blender can open MPGs, so try a QT or avi file. and dont use Divx :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t get any error, but it just didn’t work. I tried rendering it as JPG, tried rendering as AVI, tried rendering with the ANIM option but the movie is nog playin in the background…
What am I doing wrong or do i forget something?

L.G.

try rendering an animation

I tried that. when i played the movie (in blender and in windows mediaplayer) it was still the first picture of the movie only.

I tried an AVI but it still doesn’t work. In the file dialog there is a colored square beside AVI files which I thought meant it could use them…

after adding the movie as a texture,did you entered frame number for anim and movie subwindow in the teture buttons?

just enter the frame number of the movie.it works,i made a television and i used one of my ex animation which was in divx format.

good luck.

if your getting: “ERROR: Not an anim”.

I’m guessing you didn’t click the movie button before loading it.

Thats the only time I’ve seen that error under linux.

If your still having issues could you post a link to the movie your
trying to use?

I have set the frames and I’m using simple screen recordings that I have encoded to MPEG, AVI, and DIVX with mencoder, and I still get “Not an anim” for each of them.

“Treating” the movies with mencoder with the mjpeg codec works for me.

mencoder name-of-movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -o output-movie.avi

I have had a segmentation fault doing this before with some files, but creating an intermediate file worked for me:

mencoder name-of-movie.avi -ovc lavc -o temp.avi
mencoder temp.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg -o output-movie.avi

Be warned, of course, that files can get quite large. Mjpeg produces larger files than most other codecs (e.g. mpeg).