Video card responsible for particles?

I’m thinking of buying a new vid card (going from an 8600gt 256mb to a Radeon 4850 512mb). I’m wondering what sort of effect this will have on my design. I usually lag when I have heaps of particles and polys on screen at once. Is the video card reponsible for this, or, like rendering, is it the CPU?

Thanks!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn’t find a dedicated Hardware section.

I’m assuming that since it’s in the 3dviewport, it’s handled by OpenGL, and thus your video card. I’m not sure if it handles any of the particles physics, I think the CPU would handle that.

Edit
You’re quick, Tatsuyame. :slight_smile:

As I understand it, upgrading your video card should make just about everything go faster, except rendering shots/animations, calculating physical simulations (softbody/fluid/cloth/particles), and calculating changes to composite shots.

Specifically, where particles are concerned, I believe the CPU handles calculations for animating particles (when you hit Alt+Akey or click "Bake), but a better video card should make navigating and editing faster with lots of particles on the screen.

Can anybody confirm this?

It would only improve your speed if the card is better than what you have. So if you are upgrading from a low end motherboard video solution to an nVidia or ATI PCIe solution, yes. But otherwise probably not. Blender does not make as much use of the video card as it should.

That’s because I’m a FORUM NINJA. Or perhaps I just have too much free time. >.>

It’s significantly better than what I have. I’m running an 8600GT (256mb), upgrading to a 4850 (512mb), so I think I’m set.

Thanks heaps guys!