video editing: scale video or audio strip?

Hey guys, is there a way to scale a video or audio strip in the video sequencer? I imported a 200 fps video but it’s been automatically scaled up to 120 fps, and now my audio and video is drastically out of sync.
A part of the blendfile can be found here (28mb!), incase I wasn’t able to properly explain my problem :smiley: It doesn’t contain much video, but in essence the audio strip should still be just as long as the video strip, which it unfortunately isn’t.
Thanks for reading,
Greets,
kiriri

Well, if you’re certain that your source video is 200 fps, then you should set the same number in the properties window/render tab/dimensions panel Frame Rate field, and then re-import the video. That way the begin and end of your video and audio strips will match and you will obtain sync.
As I doubt that you actually have a 200 fps video, I suspect that you meant you have 200 frames in total.

Regardless of what you mean, the same principle applies, i.e. set the video frame rate to the project frame-rate prior to importing the video file in the VSE.

I do indeed not have 200 fps. However, that’s what every video editing software, including blender, imports my video as. In reality it should be 30fps. any other video editor I have (like avidemux) actually crashes if I try to import or play the videos, so I was kind of happy that blender would import the video. However, blender’s initiative to decide what’s best made a useless limitation has hit again, and it stops me from setting the fps to anything higher than 120 fps. 120/200 is exactly the ratio that would explain the amount the video and audio are out of sync by.

What is the source of your video clip? Was it something like CamStudio as this seems to be a source of numerous forum posts with video at 200fps with the same codec as your video such as http://www.avidemux.org/smf/index.php?topic=10213.0

I find that both very strange and hard to believe.

In reality it should be 30fps.
Unless you shot it or rendered it yourself, how do you know?
I’d suggest using mediainfo to check the actual video stream fps. If you’re on Linux, ffmpeg could also be used.

any other video editor I have (like avidemux) actually crashes if I try to import or play the videos, so I was kind of happy that blender would import the video.
This might be an indication that there is something wrong with the video be it an inaccurate fps or anything else really.
Oh, and avidemux has never crashed on my system, unlike say…ahem…uh…yeah…Blender! :wink:

However, blender’s initiative to decide what’s best made a useless limitation has hit again, and it stops me from setting the fps to anything higher than 120 fps.
Excuse me but you’re not making any sense here. If the video fps is 30fps as you said above, why on earth would you want to set the overall frame rate at 120?! What’s the use of that?
Do you mean you want to accelerate the video or something? So say use a given frame rate and speed the video up?

120/200 is exactly the ratio that would explain the amount the video and audio are out of sync by.
You could try some of the suggestions above and get back here with more info.

The audio strip will import at the right length I think. What is that in seconds? Then divide that duration into the total number of frames = frame rate per second.

In the past I have had to import my audio at it’s native frame rate and perform a mixdown from the Scene properties tab. Then bring that back as a seperate file to the prefered scene and frame rate, add the video and apply a speed effect to it. Beware though that speed effect can discard frames if you don’t get the right frame rate for the number of frames.

@ Richard
thanks, that was exactly what I used to record it… But blind as I am I didn’t figure the framerate really was 200fps :smiley:

@ blendercomp
the reason why I tried to import the video as 200fps was that I figured that would sync the audio and video. Then I would have exported it and used a video editor to turn it into a 30fps video. Didn’t work though because I can’t crank the framerate to anything higher than 120fps.

@3pointEdit
the words ‘speed effect’ might just be what I was looking for… I’ll be looking into it :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for the help once again :smiley: