Video handling on Blender Artists

Hi there,

I have been struggling embedding videos in the artwork section.

I think it would be convenient to have a higher video size limit. The current one makes it impossible to upload anything beyond 3-5 seconds.

While the youtube and TikTok embedding work fine, embedding Instagram reels fails, with a cropped in image.

It’s all workable through YouTube for example, but one might not want to flood their channel with videos without context. YouTube is also a lot more restrictive and adding audio is much easier on Instagram/TikTok.

It would just be a little easier.

Cheers!

Increasing allotment for file size and video duration puts greater demand on the host, and possibly higher hosting costs.

The whole benefit of YouTube is to allow websites to be able to avoid incurring such costs, while allowing users to still display their work at whatever quality they wish.

The reason Instagram video isn’t working well is likely due to how Instagram itself works. That app/service is not designed for efficiently posting video to external sites. Instagram wants the vids watched ON Instagram, not elsewhere.

1 Like

Yep… limits can’t go up unless the site has more revenue. Side note: it’s only 2 dollars month to become a Patreon subscriber :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answer, that’s clear. The reasons are quite obvious indeed, just thought I’d ask :wink:
I got the point for Instagram reels, but even the generated link does not work well. I’m OK with a thumb and a link but that does not seem to work, contrarily to TikTok.
Good note for patreon. On my list when I make money from 3d :grin:.

Well YouTube offers options like unlisting videos (if cluttering your channel is an issue) or you could simply create a second channel. Most forums/websites will not allow you to post videos direct onto the website cos the cost of doing that would become astronomical! Videos are resource heavy (both size and bandwidth) at the best of times.

1 Like