Video setup

Hi & let’s say that we have a short movie being made on blender , what would be the best way to render high quality movie for TV , …

1024×768

1280×720

?

what is the good aspect ratio for being displayed on TV or PC , without suffering from stretch ?

why do we see somekind of “horizontal cracks” in some scenes on pc while on tv there’s nothing like this ?

what is the recommended codec ? , & frame/second

a friend of mine told me that i must have a big capacity hard-drive and make folders like this …

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8391/treer.png

now for tutorials/behind the scenes , what setup do you recommend guys ?

the audio for the tutorials would be like this , reading ana article for the first time on wikipedia …

am i clear , is my pronunciation good ? [0.7 mega mp3]

http://www.zshare.net/audio/60490119a3a764bf/ [stream]

, i’m thinking of other questions as well …

thanks .

I’d say go for 720p or 1080p and render double the size for compositing.

But thats just my opinion, and you should really decide on the basis of your needs & possibility’s…

edit: ^^^^ is about the first question.

Aspect ratios, for TV there are multiple standards, such as NTSC & different PAL’s,
all depending on regions, but HD should be pretty global…

As for the folders, yeah, being organized is for your own benefit.

How big drives will you need, is up to the size of project, the more the merrier though, obviously.

on the video editing machines, I’d suggest secondary HDD’s with high RPM’s,
eg. ~10k-15k RPM’s for virtual memory/swap drive, yeah I mean the whole drive & a 64bit OS.

I use Blender to create frames of size 1440 x 1080 @ 25 frames/sec and then do some post processing in Adobe Premiere. However, this is for movies that should look good at HD levels (HDV 1080p at 4:3).

As Felix said though, if you really want to make it look good, you should process at twice the resolution and only reduce to 1080p at the very end of your production pipeline… this would mean that you really should process at 2880 x 2160 (question is, whether your tools and hardware can handle it, really).

Cheers

Hamu

Both 720p and 1080p have a display aspect ratio of 16:9 and a sample aspect ratio of 1:1 (i.e. square pixels). HDTV can handle frame rates of 24, 25, 30, 24/1.001 and 30/1.001fps. 24fps is the standard frame rate of cinema movies.

For standard DVD releases you have to scale down to either 480p (NTSC) or 576p (PAL). NTSC progressive video has a frame rate of 30/1.001fps, PAL has 25fps. Both standards support 24fps video using a technique called telecine.

Both 480p and 576p formats have a horizontal resolution of 704 pixels. The sample aspect ratio of 16:9 widescreen video is 40:33 for NTSC and 16:11 for PAL. Sometimes you will see DVD movies encoded at 720 pixels width, but the additional 8 pixels on the left and right are not part of the 16:9 display area, i.e. the sample aspect ratio remains unchanged.

Prepare for more numbers than you will ever want to look at ever again…

The largest around does seem to be 1080p with 1920x1080 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Unless you know before hand specifically then rendering at this resolution (or twice as big for compositing like suggested) should have you covered for basically anything.

And yes, you will certainly need harddisk space…