Video Texture player

:)my first post in Elysiun!
GREAT FORUM!!!
Looks very Interessting!
Playing Videos on Planes in Game Engine!

SeeYa

Hi,

I have uploaded new version of video texture plugin. It contains error handling and reporting, no new features were added. Please, try it, and if it will fail, send me content of file exptLog.txt - it will be created in case of error and contains error description.

I tested it as well, and it’s awesome. Whoow, I’ve tried to do this with python only, but no succes yet.
Anyways, it plays fine on my computer using winXP, no service packs or updates, the decoder and I didn’t even had to put that dll in the blender dir, worked just straight out from the zip. :slight_smile:

Are you planning to make it crossplatform? Cause that would be great, and it could be added in blender itself then.:smiley:

I am looking for crossplatform library that would replace DirectShow part of this plugin. It should be able to open video files in several formats and send video frames to plugin. Maybe libavcodec can handle this.

To become part of Blender: I’d like to see GameBlender will have some kind of modular architecture with several plugins aimed to meet specific goals. GameBlender core should provide interfaces for them to plug them in.

sorry but it writes no txt file and still the video shows in a windows … mmm …(/me crying to see this working ) … also hope you could found a cross platform lib to use, cos i prefer to use linux boxes … :wink:

Once again, nice work ashid!

I tried adding a movement actuator to one of the planes, and changed its lighting settings to enable realtime lighting, and amazingly it still works! (with a very slight reduction in framerate - I’m getting up to 21 FPS on my works P2 1.8GHZ, with the crappy on-board intel extreme graphics controller)

Once again, I take my hat off to you.

Looking forward to a final release :slight_smile:

Olm-Z,

I did some testing of DirectShow filters setup (I am using ffdshow filter to decode Xvid video). My texture renderer class requires RGB24 output colorspace and if I disabled this colorspace in ffdshow filter setup, video was rendered in ActiveX Window (because my renderer object refused to render video). Enabling RGB24 in filter setup corrected this behaviour.

Check your decoder/filter settings and enable there RGB24 output to get this working. Right now I don’t plan to support various colorspaces.

Updated Video Texture Player page contains new version of plug-in, updated demo, interface documentation a plans for future. Check it out!

wow cool :wink:
in between, i forced te xvid decoder to RGB24 and it worked perfectly …
in full screen with both video (from first released demo) i got like 75FPS on my brand new laptop :smiley:
thanks fot all this again !

Ashsid looks promising, maybe this could help: :o

http://www.ai.fh-erfurt.de/mitarbeiter-innen/professorinnen/dr-paul-grimm/gdv/ar-blender/

I’m not saying you’re reinvinting the wheel :wink:

hoxolotl,

I know AR-blender. I tried to take different approach - make it a plug-in usable in current Blender version and make it simple to setup and use.

Using this approach it’s possible to make plug-ins to manipulate with game objects without need to recompile Blender sources. I can imagine plug-ins to implements softbodies in GameBlender, particle systems, liquid animation…
Making GameBlender plugable it IMHO better approach than trying to push all these features into Blender sources.

I absolutely, positively agree! I’ve been lurking this post and, although I haven’t had time to try your plug-in yet, I’d just like to say thanks for creating it and sharing it with the rest of us. I can think of a dozen ways to use this in the future. Thanks!

:slight_smile:
I totally agree too, maybe a good idea to make external python scripts and global python scripts into the BGE too…
and just to be annoying, would it be possible to get webcam feed into BGE too?

…ok…I think I’m going to get some koffee as I must be getting on some people’s nerves…ashsid keep up the good “*new word”…

*we need a new word for work that is fun and useful, yet doesn’t sound as lame as hobby.

hoxolotl,

after quick look into DirectShow docs, I think that webcam can be used as source - constructor of Player object has to be extended to be able to specify webcam identification. Only problem is I don’t have webcam to test it.

ashid, are you in communication with other developers? just want to check, on the bullet physics forum there was a mention about OGRE being ported to blender, and blender GE pluginisation, so that your efforts get in some longer term project

pildanovak,

yes, I have read some articles on using Ogre to create in Blender something simillar to oFusion for 3DS Max, but these plans look vague at this moment. In fact, our team is using Blender as design tool for game engine we are working on (based on OGRE and ODE), so we are preparing some kind of plugable integration of Blender to our engine. It’s not decided yet, if we will release it for public use or not.

ashid, have you a look at ARToolKit’s sources ? There is a video input code, which support windows, linux, mac and sgi. So, perhaps can you use a peace of code…

Best regards.

I have sound but no picture, Blender crashes after a few seconds.
The sound appears after the game engine freezes, before Blender crashes.
The content of my exptLog.txt:
.\TexPlayer.cpp:140:80040216: Source file failed to open

I tried reinstalling XviD-1.1.0-30122005.exe but still doesn’t work.

Windows XP, IBM Thinkpad G40, PIV

thanks!

timv,

when you open avi files from demo in Windows Media Player, does it play correctly? Also, have you opened scanner_darkly.blend by doubleclick from folder where it is unzipped or from Blender’s File menu?

hi ashsid,
I checked the videos and they play well in VLC media player and Windows media player.
I open scanner_darkly.blend file from within Blender (F1…), tried putting the video’s in different places, now they’re in the same folder as blender.exe, along with the blendVideoTex.dll…