Video V.S. Written tuts?

let’s see the results
Any medium is fine for me ! :smiley:

and you?

I never read tutorials. :smiley:
Video tutorials is very slow to learn. :smiley:

Good tutorial = short infos like docs.

I put depends. For modeling, I think video tuts are better because it not only explains techniques but can offer experience from someone knowledgeable… meaning, all these little adjustments being made to verts can be visually shown and explained what is being looked for. When that gets translated to written it comes out as smooth the surface by moving verts, edge sliding, etc. When it’s video you can see the imperfections they are referring to and the techniques they’re going to apply to solve it (especially if they highlight those things).

Other things, written is better, it allows one to work at their own pace and keep notes in a journal if they like. Further, maybe someone needs 1 key point but watching a 30 minute video for one point is a pain.

It’s subjective and it’s a fine “art” for the tutorial “artist” (creator) to understand where that line is (and you do that just fine). Listen to the community for what you can (as you’re very good at) and in the end, trust your gut, it doesn’t lie.

alot of people dont have broadband so for them written is going to be better. think about farsthays bendwidth problems. he could learn it from a written tutorial before he could get a video fully downloaded. some videos i’ve seen are very low res and too small to see whats going on, and if you blow them up they are too blurry to see whats going on. on the other hand watching mr fox’s tours i can uderstand things easily that would go right over my head if i were trying to read it. but i use both written and video. thats one of the things i love about the tufts corse, they have both.

i have decent bandwidth so for me the quality and content of the tutorial is more important than the media it comes on.

I find written tutorials handy if I know basically what I want to do but am having trouble with specific details, also they are easier to refer back to while working. However, really the quality of the tutorial is what matters, Blendercookie tutorials are always good.

I prefer written in general, they are faster to use, you can refer back to them easily, plus I can listen to music while working :slight_smile:

I agree especially if you just want to learn a workflow a written tutorial is much faster. But if well edited, a video tutorial can also be good (not only just a unedited screencast). A great example is http://www.guerrillacg.org/. Videos can used as a part of a written tutorial, showing a specific procedure etc.

Agreed on this - for video tutorials I have often had to “rewind” to the same segment several time when I couldn’t understand what the author said.
However, both mediums are fine as todays mostly “open knowledge” environment mean that after watching a video tutorial, the written tutorial kind of makes more sense, and vice versa.

depends.

Written ones can:
*be printed out
*referenced later easily
*have notes added to them
*taken @ your own pace
*not dependent on a specific version or layout of a program (example: a text tut for Photoshop can be adapted to Gimp. Unless you know photoshop a vid tut won’t help as you won’t know exactly what they’re using).

Vid tut’s can be good, but I’ve only ever liked them once or twice. After the initial time watching them I’d rather have the written one so I can do the above list to it.

The best format is XML! You can have written material, which is advantageous when you have a lot of details and settings or detailed steps to follow and you can insert short vids, which are nice to get the flow and show results. Also with small vids you can skip over stuff that is too wordy or simple and then play the interesting stuff over and over until you understand it all.

The rise of video tutorials are a concerning trend to me. I never follow any tutorial to the letter, meaning I have never produced the actual model from a tutorial. I often need to learn a new workflow with my own content though, which is way easier with a simple written tutorial. Plus, they’re searchable.

IOW, I’m interested in e.g. the gotchas of bone hierarchies and where to find the buttons, not in making the example gingerbread character from scratch.

Short clips as demos of new features are alright, but like many video tutorials it’s often distracting to watch someone fudge around in low resolution while speaking in their regional accent and without a script into a cheap headset. With just a bit more effort, the same person could make a well organized text with searchability (google and inside the page), and come off looking like a total pro.

My two cents.

I tend to like video tutorials, but written ones are faster and harder to misunderstand. I’d have less of a problem with video tuts if people would actually add subtitles and annotations most of the time (especially on tricky/finicky bits)

If the video isn’t good quality, why would one expect the text to be any better? Whether the information is conveyed via video or document crap is crap - awesome is awesome.

It’s all in the presentation, not the format. :yes:

i like pdf tutorial, i can easely make my archives of knowledge and print some of them for my students !
a classical A4 format printable !

Endi is right, though I personally would prefer both, have a written point to point doc with video tuts would be fine. I say this because watching a video is a great way to learn, but sometimes if you forget only one step, you don’t want to have to go through the whole video again just to find out one point. Therefore if video tuts came with the script or point to point outline of the tut then you can quickly refer to that one specific point more easily.

set by step : video

while focusing on the main elements you can also either though audio
or video show alternatives and quickly provide additional information.

concept : text

information which is more general and not case specific can be great as
text where a concept is evaluated rather then showing a step by step.

But no media works when Endi has no patience :wink:

In fact, everything is good to learn…
But:

1. Often video tuts fly over little performed actions from the “teacher”, or the person is speaking some “Cockney” or “deep western” type of accentuated and hardly understandable english. This makes a tutorial becomming useless, sometimes.
  2. Books also, might be written by people who are allready very very skilled… so skilled that they don’t remember their beginnings and forget to mention or oversee elementary steps for newbies.
  3. What native files are concerned: it also can be hard to understand HOW things have been built because of a lack of comments.

Therefor, learning still allways depends on looooooots of individual training (a gorgeous time eater, of course).
Personnaly, when starting ANY learning, i really work with a real book on my knees (and this goes on all over the first months!)… But of course, i’m pretty much old schooled and cannot stand as a reference! :slight_smile:

I personally prefer written tutorials with pictures. For me, they are easier to understand and take less time.
Unfortunately, thats all there seems to be now. :frowning: Watched one vid and it took me 9 HOURS for a 45 min vid. Simply for the fact he went so fast I had no idea what he clicked/did so had to rewind, relisten, etc, etc etc.

At least with reading, I can reread it in less time, until I understand it.

Brainetics
nike air max 90
air Max shoe
ugg classic tall boots
air max
billige Air Max
cheap nfl jerseys on sale
Nike shox shoes
ajf
nike Dunk sb shoes
MBT walking shoes
air jordan shoes
mbt shoes clearance
nike dunk mid
ed hardy
ed hardy tattoos
air jordan 2010
chanel sunglasses 2010
cheap nfl jerseys
cheap gucci outlet
cheap jeans outlet
gunstig jeans outlet

I prefer written too. You can search any word quickly or you can ignore the text that you know and go to the interesting ones.