videoEditor_an_import_issue

When a .mov file is imported the data is separated into an audio clip and an image clip.

The issue is that the two do not align. Sound and sight are out of sync.

Thus far it has happened with any flm file imported into the software.

Any insights on this?

Yeah, I see the same thing. That is why I don’t waste my time using the VSE. It it just broken and does not work correctly. Also, Quicktime support has been removed from Blender so what is the point? The video editing that I do relies quite heavily on Quicktime.

You could report it as a bug, maybe it will get fixed…? But what do you do until then? Use other software.

The ends do not match because the frame rate of the video you imported is different from the project frame rate.
VSE default fps is 24. If the footage you import is not shot at 24fps then the length of the video is going to be different from the length of the audio strip.
The way to solve this is to determine the frame rate of your video footage, set that in the properties window dimensions panel and then import the footage in the VSE.

That is true blendercomp, but I have never seen the start frame begin at different points for both strips? It is not a bug either, but a lack of feature. It is the sort of thing that many other apps do upon import (match frame rates). Odd as the image will get stretched to match the scene size. It’s fortunate though as Blender sucks at frame rate speed changes.

@3point: I assumed that the OP had moved either strip so that the beginning do not match. I didn’t realize that this is the result of a simple quicktime import in the VSE.

Btw I import DSLR quicktimes in the VSE all the time and never had a problem with any of them. If the frame rates match the strip start/end matches as well. So that’s undoubtedly a feature in Blender.

I don’t really know how other softwares handle different frame rates. Ideally, I would want to remux clips myself before importing so as to have more control over the process. It’s certainly more work but it’s also more control.
Btw, I was looking at how FCP X handles static images of different dimensions/aspect ratios the other day and it was (almost) laughable. IMNSHO, Blender’s import images as planes addon kicks ass compared to that! :wink:

I understand that you dislike VSE and consider it a “waste of time”.
The thing is that you keep repeating it on every possible occasion. We really got that part so there’s no need to re-iterate it all the time.
In your workflow VSE is useless but this might not necessarily the case with other people’s workflows.

Just curious: which NLE you use to edit your stuff?

I don’t really know how other softwares handle different frame rates.

After Effects just works. I can’t think of a single time that I would want my recorded camera audio to be out of synch with the video. How can this be a “feature”?

Sorry to be so harsh, but the VSE is the portion of Blender that needs the most amount of love at this point. I see great possibility but I experience failing. Maybe I keep repeating myself in the hope that I will be heard (echo…echo…does my voice really sound like that…)

Quite frankly, if the Blender VSE actually worked there would be reason to use Windows or OSX. I continue to use those operating systems only because of Adobe products.

Yeah I really wish for decent frame blend/optical flow and audio matching for frame rate.

Clearly the OP did not match framerate on the import, that is why the lengths are different, I’ve always had the start and end sync on import with proper frame rate matching.

@Atom: The ability to separate the audio and video is important for adding separate sound, music, narration etc. So being able to delink i.e. unsync a audio track (usually just to delete it) is a usable feature. Also nudging audio a 1 ms per foot distant the subject is from the camera gives you a realistic POV audio delay. Unfortunately Blender’s VSE has only nudging in increments of full frames. This can be anoying (as I have previously posted) particularly in adding sound effects or syncing music to action. Try syncing a separate audio source. Blender certainly could have implemented this in a better way but it is usable.

My $0.02

well if it just works then I’m happy for you! :slight_smile:
And I mean that all the way, no pun intended.

I can’t think of a single time that I would want my recorded camera audio to be out of synch with the video. How can this be a “feature”?
I also don’t remember when it was the last time I needed video and audio to be out of sync. I guess that’s because I never ever actually needed that! The fact of the matter though is that I record vids with my cellphone, my DSLR, my crappy SD camcoder, and… even my laptop webcam. Regretfully enough, all these devices record video at variable frame rates. The problem emerges when mixing sources with different frame rates. In such cases I tend to use Avidemux to… remux audio and video while changing the fps to fit the overall Blender project settings.
Sometimes I can get away by simply deleting the audio or adding some bg music.
Ideally, I would also want VSE to handle all that automatically for me. But I cannot have that so I’m thankful for what I have and try to work around problems.

I can’t imagine any serious production using multiple frame rates to shoot anything.

Sorry to be so harsh,
no need to apologize

but the VSE is the portion of Blender that needs the most amount of love at this point.
I honestly couldn’t agree more with you on that.

I see great possibility but I experience failing. Maybe I keep repeating myself in the hope that I will be heard (echo…echo…does my voice really sound like that…)
We need to take action or push things in a certain direction like GSoC, fund raising or… simply writing code
If you have a look at this: http://code.blender.org/index.php/2012/04/orphaned-areas-help-call/ you will see that the sequencer code is considered messy and that it is described as an orphaned area of Blender. Sergey explicitly writes that there is no developer time to work on the sequencer. So I guess that Mango will not bring about the much anticipated changes.

Quite frankly, if the Blender VSE actually worked there would be reason to use Windows or OSX. I continue to use those operating systems only because of Adobe products.
I feel your pain. Many people tell me that they would ditch windoze if only they could get PS to run on Linux.

In my experience, this is the most frequently encountered error novices get upon trying the sequencer for the first time.

@Atom: The ability to separate the audio and video is important for adding separate sound, music, narration etc. So being able to delink i.e. unsync a audio track (usually just to delete it) is a usable feature. Also nudging audio a 1 ms per foot distant the subject is from the camera gives you a realistic POV audio delay. Unfortunately Blender’s VSE has only nudging in increments of full frames. This can be anoying (as I have previously posted) particularly in adding sound effects or syncing music to action. Try syncing a separate audio source. Blender certainly could have implemented this in a better way but it is usable.

My $0.02
I completely agree that the VSE is seriously lacking in the audio area. Volume meters and other features would also be handy so that one would not have to export audio for processing in other apps. Thankfully, exporting works fine so audio processing in external apps is both possible and doable. But before getting to the audio stuff (which I could live without) we need to get the video part working, e.g. integrating the sequencer with the compositor.