View/Edit child without parent's transformation

Hi,

i’d like to edit/view a child object in its original position/roation. In my case the parent is rotated and i want to edit/view the child without that rotation. How can i do that?

Thank you

Well, I don’t know what you’re going for, exactly. But, I would select that child object then alt+D duplicate it. Alt+P remove parent > alt+R to clear rotation. Then you can work on the duplicate object, free and un-rotated, while all the updates are passed to the child object. Just delete it or hide it when you’re done.

I’m sure there are other ways too. Perhaps even more straight forward, depending on your needs.

If you select the child object and press Shift+NUM1, Shift+NUM3, Shift+NUM7, … the view will be reset based on the selected objects local coordinate system. That could be what you are looking for.

Thanks Helge, that does the trick.

Are there other ways to do that? I’d like to have it automatically corrected if i select or edit a child object or maybe combined with toggle global/local mode via “/” shortcut. Would be much easier.

Thanks Helge, that does the trick.

Are there other ways to do that? I’d like to have it automatically corrected if i select or edit a child object or maybe combined with toggle global/local mode via “/” shortcut. Would be much easier.

I’m not sure if that is possible as blender would have to guess the side/perspective you need to see.

I don’t know if blender can do this already - but maybe an addon could rotate the current object to align its local coordinate system with world space - and rotate it back after you finished editing. Ideas, anyone?

The default behaviour seems more like an “edit in place” mode. It would be wonderful when you would have an real isolation mode. IIRC from my early Lightwave days it was somehow built in functionality there. The separation of modeler and layouter is very helpful in that regard.

Further i tried to make use of linked objects but the workflow seems somehow cumbersome to me.

Again, maybe you have a specific need for working on the child object directly, but if not, you’ll be better off to just use an object with linked data. Duplicate the object, remove rot data so it aligns with worldspace, then simply work on that. Every time you need to make a change, work on the dup. Maybe I lack the imagination, but I don’t see necessity of working on the actual child object rather than easily working on an instance of it…

I work on a kind of technical drawing and have many instances of various objects. When editing those master/library objects I simply don’t want to be distracted by other coordinates systems or parent transformations.

For now i use linked objects, but there are a few unpleasent things. For example when i add a new object as a child of a transformed parent the child doesn’t inherit transformations. E. g. parent is rotated, child before parenting is unrotated, then after making it a child of the rotated parent the child object does not have that rotation. That behaviour seems a bit odd to me.