View port Navigation - mmb no longer rotates vport in 2.58

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed version 2.58a, opened it up and cant do the simplest thing - rotate the view port. Im using a laptop with windows 7 so i use alt + left mouse button to emulate a middle mouse button. Then i move my finger on the cursor pad. Nothing.

I`ve been looking through release notes. Theres nothing flagging a change that would explain it. New gui, bug, what gives? Any help?

kesten

Have you enabled ‘Emulate 3 button Mouse’ in the user preferences

Thanks, I just discovered this. Ouch though. Shouldn`t the version ship with a default setting that would reproduce previous version behaviour? All tutorials written prior to 2.5 will have it hard-wired into them that alt+lmb is all you need.

Also, i found the viewport navigation manual pages at http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/3D_interaction/Navigating they dont mention anything about having to switch on 3mb emulation. Its really a nasty surprise to a newbie to have the most basic functionality stop working.
again, thanks for your post.
kesten

Now my question is - should I update the wiki for 2.5 to explain that you have to go to preferences and tick emulate mmb, or (preferred) should future 2.5x versions ship with mmb emulation on by default. I think the latter is a much better solution since it gives backward compatibility to all laptop users.

Ive notice a big problem with blender in general - that you often search for help on a topic and find a solution, but written using a previous version. Now the gui has changed and the fix that was out there no longer works. This happens so often that its becoming quite frustrating to use blender (and i really love blender).Any idea how to bring this point up with the top mangos on this project so we can all give some thought as to how this backwards compatability with unregulated help communities can work more smoothly

I strongly suggest developers to make “emulate middle mouse button” a default setting.
Most mice today have middle-mouse function under the wheel which is very uncomfortable to use. Many pointing devices do not have middle mouse button at all. Every Blender teacher must start teaching with “go to User Preferences/Input/Emulate 3 Button Mouse” today.

@kestion: 3 button emulate hasn’t been the default in any blender version that I can recall. It sounds instead like your preferences didn’t carry over properly. What version did you upgrade from?

lso, i found the viewport navigation manual pages at http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do...ion/Navigating they don`t mention anything about having to switch on 3mb emulation.
It links to the keyboard and mouse page right underneath the introduction.
should I update the wiki for 2.5 to explain that you have to go to preferences and tick emulate mmb, or (preferred) should future 2.5x versions ship with mmb emulation on by default. I think the latter is a much better solution since it gives backward compatibility to all laptop users.
It’s already in the 2.5 manual under the Keyboard and mouse section. As far as I know, 3 button emulation isn’t on as the default as the assumption is that most users will have a 3-button mouse (debatable, but it’s not hard to set your preference and it is in both the 2.4 and 2.5 manuals).

Thanks Fade. I upgraded from 2.49. I’m pretty sure i never had to enable emulation, that’s why it was such a surprise. The earlier version just worked.