viewable lightsource

First of all, Congrats to this forum,I had many quations before, which all were solved using the forum search, excellent :slight_smile:

But with this I had no luck.

Is there a way to show halo-like effects on faces ?
Or how it possible to make a viewable lightsource w/o using halos ?

In detail, I want some skyscraper with their windows illuminated, how do I do that ?
I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
jono

You mean the light source to be actually mirrored/reflected on the skyscrapper’s windows glass???

Well, you could use a spot light and assign a real light source’s (like the sun for example…) texture image on it… You’ll need to tweak it a lot, to achieve a good result but it worths trying…

If you mean to achieve volumetric light effects, this link could be really helpful:
http://www.stormpages.com/eeshlo/otherBlender.html

Allthough the page doesn’t give much explanation, there’s a .blend file there, which is very self explanatory, by itself…

Hope that was what you wanted…

Cheers…

I’m new to blender, so tweaking is something I’m really used to :wink:

In fact, the HALO Effect is, what I want to achieve, but just on faces. There are much too many windows on the skyscraper for the texturing way.
But the volumetric light thing sounds like a viable solution.

Thanks a lot.

One other thing, is there a special plugin necessary to alpha one texture on another, and the alpha itself is a cloud texture per example.
let’s say I want a basic texture and applying rust or speckles just with procedurals ?!
How do I do that ?

I’m just so excited about blender …

jono

Actually I didn’t meant to assign a texture on your faces if that’s what you underdstood (I guess I didn’t make that clear…)…

I meant, to assign a texture on your spot light… You can assign textures on lights you know… :wink: And therefore the texture would be projected on your faces… It’s up to you tweaking the spot light’s settings, to get a ‘reflection-like’ result… :wink:

One other thing, is there a special plugin necessary to alpha one texture on another, and the alpha itself is a cloud texture per example.
let’s say I want a basic texture and applying rust or speckles just with procedurals ?!
How do I do that ?

You have up to 8 different texture channels per material, therefore you can assign up to 8 different textures… Also you can play with the different “blending” modes, in the material buttons under: ‘Map to’.

You don’t need a special plugin to do that…

You can also use the ‘CalcAlpha’ and ‘UseAlpha’ buttons in the texture buttons, under ‘Image’(for Image textures)…

[EDIT]As for procedurals, if you activate the ‘Colorband’ button you can even adjust the Alpha value for every colour you’re using (it’s the ‘A 0.00’ slider in the colorband buttons)…

Do a search in the forum there are a couple of good tutorials for the use of colorband…

I’m so excited that you’re so excited about Blender… :smiley:

thanks Timonide

now I know where to proceed, thanks for your assistance :slight_smile:

So … time to get even more excited … :smiley:

You could also use the stencil option of the textures. A quick search about Stenciling should give you interesting results.

Hope this helps,

You could also use the stencil option of the textures. A quick search about Stenciling should give you interesting results.

Hope this helps,

superb, exactly the thingsI was asking for.

Thanks, guys.