Viewing in 3D

Hey,
I didn’t really know where to put this so i put in in the most general topic.

I just came back from the movies and kept the 3D glasses thinking it might be possible to do something in blender.
Is it possible to use the glasses to view your animations in 3D? Any tutorials anywhere?
Btw its not the red and blue paper ones, its the black polarized ones used when watching avatar or any of the new movies

Unfortunately you can’t use the polarized glasses at home to view something in 3D (unless you have two beamers, two polarisation filters and a silver screen or some modern high-end monitor that is capable of showing 3D content).

With the red/blue-ones the situation would be different. These can also be used with a normal monitor (you just have to render two versions of a scene and then combine the two renders to one stereoscopic picture).

I have an iZ3D monitor that is 3D and uses polarized glasses, nifty but you can only use a single core single graphics card and it cuts your framerate in half.

The Zalman 3D monitor uses alternate line compositing video so the frame rate is normal but the verticle resolution is cut in half.

You can use the iZ3D new drivers for Digital projectors - this works great but again no xfire or SLI.

BTW rendered 3D is fine but Blender does not support quad buffer open GL in the editing window so unfortunately you can’t model in 3D using Blender, other programs you can.

So if i had a 3D projector or 3D monitor, ( hoping to get a 3D tv soon) how would i render for 3D?

you render two frames, one for each eye. That means cloning your camera and putting them slightly away from each other, then render from each one.

Notice you don’t really need any sort of glasses at all. There’s even some funky youtube videos.

that’s for real-time viewport preview in 3D. One still got to render 2 separate frames and join them together in a image editing program. I wish Blender had an stereo option to the camera.

But how bout using the polarized glasses from the movies?

I don’t have those. Heck, not even cheap blue-red glasses.

in any case, generating the images is the same, you always render 2 frames. Joining them in an image editor is different: you just put side by side left image to the right and vice-versa for no-glasses, cross-eyes view and for glasses you put right image to the right and left image to the left, superimposed over right image, just a bit to the side. With glasses you gotta make color filtering in the colored glasses case and I have no clue what should be needed for polarized glasses…

You can use those same “Real D” glasses, but you’d need some hardware. First you’d need two LCD or DLP projectors. For each of them you’d need “circular polarizing” filters. It is the circular part that makes Real D work so well. You can tilt your head without screwing up the affect. You can purchase the filters ($175-290 US) here:

http://www.berezin.com/3D/3dglasses.htm#Circular

You can’t use your wall or a cheap screen for this though, or the polarization will be lost and the effect gone. The biggest manufacturer is DaLite and they will sell you fabric. One is called “3D Virtual Grey”. Their website is here:

http://www.da-lite.com

Then you just need to make some 3D content to show on your own private Real D theatre…

Harley

you can do anaglyph red/blue 3d in the game engine in real time, but the polarized requires special equipment…

in other words: stealing the glasses was no good. :no:

If you are serious check out mtbs.com its dedicated to 3D

Our local theater usually has pre-recorded announcements before the movie and before 3D movies state that taking the glasses home is against theater policy, in other words they require you to return the glasses.

You may have violated the policy of your theater by taking the glasses home and should return them soon.

I’ve got a bunch of these glasses too. In Denmark , you pay 2 dollars extra to get the glasses (mandatory) and you can’t return them.

People throw these glasses all over the place, so you can collect them by the bulk loads.
It’s a bit wasteful, they really SHOULD re-use those glasses for the environment sake at least.

However…Harley’s right - you CAN re-use those glasses with proper filtering…but I know a much cheaper way than purchasing new filters :wink:

(hint: Just re-use the filters your glasses already come with) ;o)

You mean the glasses that use the new technology, you can’t return them!?

That’s nuts. our theater re-uses all of the glasses that were worn after the movie’s over and they are returned, they have the ability to wipe and clean the glasses so they are usable again.

Also, our locally based theater chain is upgrading to a better 3D technology (the X-span 3D technology), things will get even sweeter with a significant sound system upgrade and a new imax screen at the theater less than a mile from our house. (according to recent news from our main media outlets and current plans, it will be even bigger than the average imax screen at 6 stories high and 90 feet wide, one of the biggest screens in the world)

Don’t worry i didn’t steal them, you pay 3 dollars for them and then there is a sign that says to be environmentally friendly and to please recycle them, then there is a cardboard box where people put em in. So even if i had a 3D tv or projector, i wouldn’t be able to do it with the glasses the tv came with? that sucks

@JoOngle. Your idea of using glasses for filters would probably not be worth the trouble, especially since it is only saving $200 when you are using $2000 worth of projectors.

With the projectors I have on hand, the lenses on the glasses are too small if mounted externally to filter the entire image. The curvature of them also causes issues. Those filters I linked to are large, square, flat, and easily mountable at a small distance from the projector (you need a gap or the heat will do damage).

Harley

WARNING: Prolonged 3D video may be hazardous to your health.

PS. 360º Light Field Displays look rather neat (and deadly).

Bassam Kurdali tutorial on creating stereo 3D in Blender 2.5

http://sonycompetition.3dworldmag.com/video-tutorials/blender/