Viewport Depth of Field

Is it just me or does the viewport DoF (depth of field) look different than the actual render? I have noticed that It is hard getting the right looking DoF without rendering it out several times till you get the right number cause you can’t really go off of what the viewport DoF settings show even when looking through the camera. Both the camera and viewport are set at the same .8 setting but as you can see the viewport view has a lot more blur on the further cube than in the rendered view.

Viewport

Rendered

It isn’t just you. The viewport DoF is just simulated (in screen space, if I remember correctly). It is supposed to be close to raytraced DoF, but it won’t be the same.

Yeah the viewport DoF is not the best judge for a Cycles render. To avoid countless trial and error renders, it does help to familiarize yourself with photography depth of field. If that’s not your thing, at least spend some time looking at photos similar to what you want to achieve at places like 500px.com or flickr.com. Pay attention to the listed f-stops and focal lengths, as well as the typical f-stop ranges found in wide angle vs telephoto lenses.

It doesn’t take long to get a good sense for what numbers to plug in for the look you want, without having to render a bunch of times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@cgCody and @Hunkadoodle Thank you for letting me know I am not crazy. And I agree it will take some time to get used to and for the most part I have a general idea of what to set it at. Just some scenes require the camera further back which changes the usual numbers I use. That is the main reason I was curious as to how close the viewport was. But that confirms I got to dig out my old photography books and dust them off. :slight_smile: Thanks again to the both of you.

1 Like