Viewport manipulation bug?

Hi,

Since I started using Blender 2.5 and 2.6 on Ubuntu I am having a problem with the viewport manipulation. So this is what I get: I open new scene, using Maya preset, and start to model (everything works fine so far). Then I save it, close and reopen Blender and load the saved scene. Suddenly I cannot move the viewport at all, everything works fine (eg. moving objects, placing cursor, etc.) but I cannot change the default camera. What is even weirder is that even if I open a new scene (without restarting Blender) I still cannot manipulate de scene view. What is going on? Am I the only one with this problem? Is it related to the system I am using or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

i actually had a similar problem, i think i couldn’t move or zoom in the viewport, so unistalled and installed blender again.That fixed my problem, but i was using Windows so. Also try restoring the settings to its defaults. Hope this helped.

Thanks 3DPicasso,

However I don’t think this is going to work because my blender is not installed. It is version which I just unpack and it works from the folder (one of the good things being on linux :slight_smile: ). Now, I realised that the problem is not with the viewport but with the shortcuts. So, I can actually move around the scene but using the default blender shortcuts, not Maya’s preset. Is there an option in the settings where I can change the keybidings from defult to Maya? So far I was changing it in the splash screen but it seems that you have to do it each time you open a scene and the splash screen appears only once. I know that it is not a big deal to learn the default shortcuts but I use Maya, Houdini and Blender at the same time so for me would be so much more comfortable to be able to have very similar key settings.

i don’t have much expericence with linux or ubuntu so i’m afraid i can’t help you…
But you can check out this page:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Non-standard_equipment
good luck!

i think you have lapping windows commands. open compiz and disable all the window manipulation key commands. if you can get rid of that stupid unity3d wm (for blind dummies).

Relax Blutarsky, I actually I really like Unity (although I am using Unity2d) it saves up so much space on the desktop. Anyway I am aware of the “alt” being used for manipulating windows in Ubuntu. That’s not it. As I said in previous post it works but it changes the key mapping to the blender default instead of using Maya shortcuts and that is the problem.

You need to set the Maya preset and then apply user preferences. When you first open Blender (and choose the Maya preset from the splash), apply user preferences (Ctrl+U or File->Save User Settings). You can also do this from the User Preferences editor (Ctrl+Alt+U) in the Input section.