Vimana - Ancient Indian flying machine

This is my entry for the Weekend Challenge #98 - Doomsday machine

Vimana - Ancient Indian flying machine

http://www.ibetbsb.com.br/3dzine/conteudo/vimana_01.jpg

http://www.ibetbsb.com.br/3dzine/conteudo/vimana_02.jpg

Here´s a “little” treaty on those airplanes making ancient wars that once destroyed mankind (I guess I took little longer researching than blending, actually).

The Vedic traditions of India tell us that we are now in the Fourth Age of mankind.
The Vedas call them the “The Golden Age”, “The Silver Age”, and “The Bronze Age” and we are now, according to their scriptures in the “The Iron Age”.

The Vimanas - The Ramayana describes a Vimana as a double-deck, circular (cylindrical) aircraft with portholes and a dome. It flew with the speed of the wind and gave forth a melodious sound. Ancient Indian texts on Vimanas are so numerous it would take several books to relate what they have to say. The ancient Indians themselves wrote entire flight manuals on the control of various types of Vimanas, of which there were basically four: the Shakuna Vimana, the Sundara Vimana, the Rukma Vimana and the Tripura Vimana.

From another ancient manuscript - Vimanas
The secret of constructing aeroplanes, which will not break, which cannot be cut, will not catch fire, and cannot be destroyed.
The secret of making planes motionless.
The secret of making planes invisible.
The secret of hearing conversations and other sounds in enemy planes.
The secret of receiving photographs of the interior of enemy planes.
The secret of ascertaining the direction of enemy planes approach.
The secret of making persons in enemy planes lose consciousness.
The secret of destroying enemy planes.

—x---

“The “Vimanas” or Flying Machines of Ancient India”

In the Mahavira of Bhavabhuti, a Jain text of the eighth century culled from older texts and traditions, we read: “An aerial chariot, the Pushpaka, conveys many people to the capital of Ayodhya. The sky is full of stupendous flying-machines, dark as night,but picked out by lights with a yellowish glare.” The Vedas, ancient Hindu poems, thought to be the oldest of all the Indian texts, describe Vimanas of various shapes and sizes: the “ahnihotravimana” with two engines, the"elephant-vimana" with more engines, and other types named after the kingfisher, ibis and other animals.
Unfortunately, Vimanas, like most scientific discoveries, were ultimately used for war. Atlanteans used their flying machines, “Vailixi,” a similar type of aircraft, to literally try and subjugate the world, it would seem, if Indian texts are to be believed. The Atlanteans, known as “Asvins” in the Indian writings, were apparently even more advanced technologically than the Indians, and certainly of a more war-like temperament. Although no ancient texts on Atlantean Vailixi are known to exist, some information has come down through esoteric, “occult” sources which describe their flying machines.
Similar, if not identical to Vimanas, Vailixi were generally “cigar shaped” and had the capability of maneuvering underwater as well as in the atmosphere or even outer space. Other vehicles, like Vimanas, were saucer shaped, and could apparently also be submerged.
According to Eklal Kueshana, author of “The Ultimate Frontier,” in an article he wrote in 1966, Vailixi were first developed in Atlantis 20,000 years ago, and the most common ones are “saucer shaped of generally trapezoidal cross-section with three hemispherical engine pods on the underside.” “They use a mechanical antigravity device driven by engines developing approximately 80,000 horse power.” The Ramayana, Mahabarata and other texts speak of the hideous war that took place, some ten or twelve thousand years ago between Atlantis and Rama using weapons of destruction that could not be imagined by readers until the second half of this century.
The ancient Mahabharata, one of the sources on Vimanas, goes on to tell the awesome destructiveness of the war: “…(the weapon was) a single projectile charged with all the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame as bright as the thousand suns rose in all its splendor… An iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas… the corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. The hair and nails fell out; pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white… after a few hours all foodstuffs were infected… to escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment…” It would seem that the Mahabharata is describing an atomic war! References like this one are not isolated; but battles, using a fantastic array of weapons and aerial vehicles are common in all the epic Indian books. One even describes a Vimana-Vailix battle on the Moon! The above section very accurately describes what an atomic explosion would look like and the effects of the radioactivity on the population. Jumping into water is the only respite.
When the Rishi City of Mohenjodaro was excavated by archaeologists in the last century, they found skeletons just lying in the streets, some of them holding hands, as if some great doom had suddenly overtaken them. These skeletons are among the most radioactive ever found, on a par with those found at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Ancient cities whose brick and stonewalls have literally been vitrified, that is-fused together, can be found in India, Ireland, Scotland, France, Turkey and other places. There is no logical explanation for the vitrification of stone forts and cities, except from an atomic blast.

By Mukul Sharma - The Times of India - April 8, 1999
http://www.crystalinks.com/indiavimanas.html

—x---

Excerpt from The Anti-Gravity Handbook
By D. Hatcher Childress

Many researchers into the UFO enigma tend to overlook a very important fact. While it assumed that most flying saucers are of alien, or perhaps Governmental Military origin, another possible origin of UFOs is ancient India and Atlantis.
What we know about ancient Indian flying vehicles comes from ancient Indian sources; written texts that have come down to us through the centuries.
There is no doubt that most of these texts are authentic; many are the well known ancient Indian Epics themselves, and there are literally hundreds of them. Most of them have not even been translated into English yet from the old Sanskrit.
The Indian Emperor Ashoka started a “Secret Society of the Nine Unknown Men”: great Indian scientists who were supposed to catalogue the many sciences. Ashoka kept their work secret because he was afraid that the advanced science catalogued by these men, culled from ancient Indian sources, would be used for the evil purpose of war, which Ashoka was strongly against, having been converted to Buddhism after defeating a rival army in a bloody battle.
The “Nine Unknown Men” wrote a total of nine books, presumably one each. Book number was “The Secrets of Gravitation!” This book, known to historians, but not actually seen by them dealt chiefly with “gravity control.”
It is presumably still around somewhere, kept in a secret library in India, Tibet or elsewhere (perhaps even in North America somewhere). One can certainly understand Ashoka’s reasoning for wanting to keep such knowledge a secret, assuming it exists. if the Nazis had such weapons at their disposal during World War Ii. Ashoka was also aware devastating wars using such advanced vehicles and other ‘futuristic weapons’ that had destroyed the ancient Indian “Rama Empire” several thousand years before.
Only a few years ago, the Chinese discovered some Sanskrit documents in Lhasa, Tibet and sent them to the University of Chandrigarh to be translated. Dr. Ruth Reyna of the University said recently that the documents contain directions for building interstellar spaceships!
Their method of propulsion, she said, was “anti-gravitational” and was based upon a system analogous to that of “laghima,” the unknown power of the ego existing in man’s physiological makeup, “a centrifugal force strong enough to counteract all gravitational pull.” According to Hindu Yogis, it is this “laghima” which enables a person to levitate.

—x---

The following story from the Mahabharatha was told by Sathya Sai Baba on two occasions in very different versions. In the first instance it was presented as if it were factual:
A concise resumé of most of version one of the rambling tale firstly: "The cowherd Maaladhaasa who was determined to see the Lord and prayed to the “black Lord riding on a white bird”. Due to his fasting and prayer, the Lord did at last appear to him, but as an old Brahmin, but he was not black and there was no bird. So the cowherd asked the Brahmin to come next day again so he could get the village pandit to say whether he was the Lord himself. The pandit laughed and the whole village turned out next day to see this Brahmin, but only the cowherd Maaladhaasa could see him. He was ridiculed…
Let Sathya Sai Baba take up his rambling story here: “At last, he got so enraged they he walked up to the old Brahmin and gave him a whacking blow on the cheek, saying “Why don’t you show yourself to all?” That blow changed the entire scene. Krishna appeared in resplendent robes, smiling face, captivating form and the white bird. As the astounded villagers were recovering from the amazement, the heavenly chariot (Vimaana), floated down from the sky and Krishna asked Maaladhaasa to sit inside it. Then, with the Lord by his side, Maadlahaasa rose up and soon was out of sight.” (Faith that made the lord manifest (cowherd story)
(Sathya Sai Speaks Vol 7, pps 7f)

A few more liks:
http://216.10.26.55/Vimanas/Vimanas.htm
http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Vimanas.htmhttp://www.thai.net/myth-2/vimana_revisit/vimana_re02.html
http://www11.brinkster.com/code10v2/civilization/main/indian/vimana.html
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020421/spectrum/art.htm

someone I knew from india told me all about that stuff once.
if it’s really really tru that’s like interesting… but i’ve never seen any proof so I just consider it possible

nice killer ducks though!! LoL

it will be open, but it looks good …go killer ducks!

Quack! Thanks!
What makes it open? The background?

Wow you sure did some research on this one. Good job.

Image update:

http://www.ibetbsb.com.br/3dzine/conteudo/vimana_03.jpg

Thanks for your vote again…

Also I respect the fact that you did so much research on this topic.

I am currently working on a game for blender(getting ready for next release) and it is based in the 1920’s I too have done hours of research to make everything exact to the time. I have not modeled one object yet , but I have learned alot about the 1920’s and I now have a better idea then when I started.

I like the back story and links you provided.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Enriq!

Hi,

There are no ducks in Indian Mythology the flying ‘killer duck’ are actually ‘killer swan’ ( although that is one gentle bird) :).

BTW I suggest you should know since you started this thread that Ramayan and Mahabarata are EPIC and they had no relation what so ever Mr D. Hatcher so brashely mentioned in his book. If you go by those words converted from the original texts, they are litreal conversion of a word of one civilization to other, which is nearly alien to it, and does not exactly matches the faith of the argument, at time it looks more of twisting the words to suit the purpose.

One more thing I would like to say is that Mr Mukul is not known as an intellect among Indian Intelects on the medium and certainly has no authority on Indian History or as a matter of fact on ‘Sanskrit’ (the language).

Do not think any thing wrong I have nothing against you for using it as a matter of fact I am very happy that you tried to assimilate info before you started :wink: .

About the scientific validity they might have some relevance but as of now there is no such research being done on it. However a greater coincidence or whateryou may think is that, one ‘vimana’ technology mentions about the use of ionzed mercury vapours( yes heated mercury vapours are not far from ionization) alongwith something like laser on a circular platter, and it mentions that it could be used for all form of travels. Recently NASA ( If I am not wrong) succesfylly prupulsed a circulat UFO like titanium disc ( size about 6-7 inces) verticaly, using ionized mercury vapors with lazer as the prulpusion medium. :expressionless:

Sorry I if am hijacking this thread of yours but I do feel Strongly when I see some thing being litereally degraded from my cultural history.

Comming to the work ‘arrangle’ the ‘Hindola’ (Devnagri name for the cabin at top) is not strapped (Hey I am not aware of invisible belt in indian mythology) :D.

Gaurav and all Indian people reading this, I am sorry if my ignorance offended you or your culture. I didn´t mean that at all. On the contrary, I tried to pay a homage to a culture I admire very much (should study it more, I guess…).
I am kind of used to that: foreign people not very well informed talking about my country… like we here in Brazil we swing off trees and crocodile stories…
Gaurav, do you have some trustee links for information on the Vimanas?

Hehe… when my parents went to Hawaii a woman there told them she thought it was awesome we still used horses as transportation here in Oklahoma (USA). Funniest crap I’ve ever heard.

I like your story, but the picture is heavily lacking in details. Being Indian it should have lots of geometric complexity textured onto it.

That is true. Thanks.

no offense or anything…or maybe it is just me…but the render looks realy ugly… it might just be the textures or the quality of the pic.

You want tho know what I have to go thru just visiting my cousins in Ohio…

Im from texas and they think we still ride horses everyday and all live on farms or ranches. This in OHIO when visted! oh well…

Dude you should be happy people study your history because most people think of India as land of computer programmers and gas station owners. (not me) but most people do. I know India has a rich history and I have seen the ART that has been created from there(AWESOME!!) So settle down bro. no one is trying to bash your culture.

Joguy923, the bg picture is low res.

Hi,

arangel, first sorry I messed up your name In last post %| , comming back to the topic as I already said I was not offended by your work and neither would any other Indian for that matter, I just deispise the thought when some one unknowledgleble converts and interprects the facts (I am talking about info in some of the links).

I love reading books especially related to Indian history and more. I must say I am no authority on that topic myself but as much as I have learned about from the little sanskrit text (BTW I used to get good grades in Sanskrit) I came accross I noticed meaningful differences between what is being said in it to what is being intrepreted.

And futher it is like saying that norah or noah (I am sorry I cant recall the right name) and its boat really existed that long back and that he did really put all those animals in it and traveled the stormy sea. Now interpretting in the same style that Noah’s boat was at technological height even at that time and that it could manuver thunderous stroms without diffucility was the testimoney to the fact that advanced enginering capabilities for constructing mighty boats was readily known to our ancestors.

I think you get the point. An Epic in any religion is a enchanting fable and none other than a fable and there is no point in mixing fantasy with reality. These Epics from any relegion are beautiful texts which were written by wise peoples to imbibe values of humanity in to the mankind.

I remember the teachings from Bible which I myself enjoyed reading although it were few chapters (I could not complete it for some reasons), were approximately same as were in Indian Mythological texts. :smiley:

So there you have my apparent reasons for worry and that’s all to it my friend :slight_smile:

Sorry, at this point in time I can not point out to you any relevant info which I might not have tested. Any way I had long list of thing to do in my life probably you will get more info from my site :wink: but that will be more in future. :stuck_out_tongue:

But If you do wish to seriously learn about my culture I will definately guide you. :slight_smile:

Back to business–>
Here are some more suggestions.

Try out some designes round the neck. Hey why not make a bump mapped design try golden colour (If that was missing :slight_smile: but than gold is India, BTW You know Indian are the biggest Gold consumers in the world) and wrap it round the neck using a wide necklace.
> Work on some highlights on the beak of the bird, It is not clearely visible.
> Hey dude what about eyes they are not there et all (I dont think this vimana used satelite navigation :D).
> Give some clothing to the bird around the neck towards back, to get the idea search ‘Indian Elephants’ or ‘temple elephants’ or ‘kerala Elephants’ on google and get the idea of the style of animal decoration.
> More importantly give that dude A Bow, Posing to fletch the arrow.

I hope this helpes :slight_smile:

gaurav

It did help a lot. Thanks!
I think I caught that point early on (that the texts were not historical, but epical). That´s why I made the Vimana as a bird (poetical representantion) rather than a iron and bolts machine.