Violin

Thanks xD These are my settings for the render:

Do you have a business email of some sort?

Sadly no, I have my personal email so if you wish to contact me you can use that.
(Deleted email)

Beautiful!

I suspect this is like the chesspiece of musical instruments in regards to modeling. Seems everyone does one at least once. Did you find the scrollwork as much of a pain in the butt as I did? Nice work on texturing btw.

The scroll was a pain, took a while to figure out how I would model it and in the end, it didn’t work too well.

thanks for the values, and be careful while publishing your e-mail

Yea, I don’t mind giving out my Email cause it isn’t directly attached to anything.

At least edit your post and remove it so future spam bots don’t grab it.

Just emailed you about something, if you could reply soon, that would be great!

I would only say that the edges are guitar-like and fold down neatly to the sides instead of pinching and forming that bead around the face that’s so distinctive and plays even better with light. With that updated, I think you might have a photorealistic model as well as lighting and render.

I don’t mean that as a negative eval in any way - just what I noticed of the model. It’s a beauty as is too!

Thanks, I agree that it would look better, but I subdivided the model so fixing it now would take a little while.

Excelllent job on the Violin…

Yes some details are missing but it is all good.

Amazing job man!!

Just wandering, what kind of post processing you do to the image? I’ve never really done anything like that so I don’t know where to start.

I use gimp to add Filmgrain, a signature, and for compressing the image

Hi!
Nicely done.
I made some violins in the past too. What my most difficult part was is appearing on your work too: the realistic, proper wooden material. An old violin will have bumps from the wooden stripes and some deformations ocured by time. I learned that the picture has a history thus it should appear in signs on the target.
The more serious issue is that the wood violin made from would never have such details as it appears on your picture. It is a wooden texture for a floor or a ship, etc… The details are to offensive and dynamic for such small wooden pats violin is made of. I did not manage myself to find a ready to use texture either. To main thing to keep in mind is that the color dynamics are much smoother and they would appear rather in depth of the surface then in color variation.
Congrats anyway.

I personally think you nailed it with the photorealism! But then again, I am not a violinist to spot the small mistakes, if any. Anyways, great work!

I didn’t actually have a violin wood texture so I used this instead. Even though it isn’t realistic, I’m happy with it xD

Thanks! It was fun to make xD

I really like this model, and the quality you’ve achieved. I do have a couple things to say about some details.

The UV mapping for the wood texture isn’t quite correct for the bridge and side of the violin. For all the vertical surfaces the direction of the wood grain should be vertical. For the bridge especially, this is very important from a mechanical standpoint. The bridge supports up to 20 pounds of string tension and if the grain runs horizontally it would collapse. Similar idea for the vertical sides of the instrument.

Additionally, the bridge tapers at the top. This taper only applies to the side facing the scroll (or top of the instrument), and the top width should be about half or a little less than half the base width.

I know this is a really specific criticism, but from a photo-realism perspective the physics, as well as the lighting and materials are important.

Building off of LG’s response, maple is generally a go to material for most string instruments. In general though, hardwoods are the way to go.

(Sorry, I’m that guy who plays string instruments)