Viper

removed surpurfulous edges which decreased the number of faces from 1250 to 765, working with the subsurf modifier and other modifiers to make it more smooth looking.

This would be very cool for an F-Zero car. I wonder why nobody mentioned this yet. Anyway, cool model; it just needs some subsurfing, and it would help to turn auto smooth on (in the edit buttons). That will make sharp edges sharp and get rid of the blackness around them when they’re set to smooth.

Edit: if you’re rendering with Blender Internal, anywhere you want auto smooth to work will have to be set to smooth.

@BlendRoid: Thank you for the encouragement. I do have auto smooth on in the pics. Kinda hard working with subsurf for the first time on a model like this :spin:. Trying to control it with pinch, hard lines, and another technique that i forget, (think it’s splitter or something like that). Removing the extra edges helped a lot in predicting how subsurf would modify the model, but i think i’ll need to add some loops/edges around corners to control the curving more.

I’m running into a problem with a gap. When I subsurf the object it just gets worse. I don’t want to continue the edge all the way around the object because it creates a unwanted crease at the rear. anyone know how to fix this? :confused:

EDIT: I’m finding these through out the model. I guess the short answer is that i can fill the triangle in, but i’m trying to avoid triangles at all cost, also, anyone know how to avoid this from happening, what did i do to create this and how can i avoid it in the future?

Since you are modeling a solid state object you don’t have to worry about triangles as much, just make sure you place them in a spot where they wont cause any problems and you will be fine.

Nice model so far. Looks like something from F-Zero. :wink:

i’ve came to the conclusion that the gaps are there because i removed the edges created by the loops whe i loop cut the model. i’m running into a huge problem with the front of the model, where the wing juts out. it’s too big of a problem and i’ve decided to start over. here is a pic of the new model. i tried to make it look more cartoon/toy looking by modeling from a cube instead of a sphere.

updated pics

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

enjoy :wink: