Virtual property market booming

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4421496.stm

> A gamer who spent £13,700 on an island that exists only in a computer game has recouped his investment, according to the game developers.

The world is going down. This is so ridiculous it’s almost unbelievable.

People are retreating further and further into the virtual “world”, and we’ll soon have a society of anti-social introverts with an attitude problem. I’m not even sure the term “society” is still appropriate.

This, as we can see, is why I don’t play MMORPG’s.

How can you sell virtual land?

The software used to create these “maps” can be accessed by alomost anyone, so why buy it and make your own.

I think people are getting dumber by the second.

Seems like they are. An infinite stretch of land can be created, not limited like our Earth is. I don’t get it either… :-?

He’s not the stupid one. After all, he has recouped his investment, and so now will be making money.

The people who have bought what he has been selling there are the stupid ones.

Why take up on a section of owned land when there must be vast amounts of unowned land?

Alex

The real property market isn’t exactly sensible though. I’ve read of people paying the same price as a very nice house for a garage in London. I’ve also read of people paying tens of thousands for a small shed in Scotland.

This virtual thing comes as no surprise. One thing you have to remember is that although you can build an island yourself, sometimes it’s cheaper to buy one based on the complexity. You could say the same about 3D models that you would buy from turbosquid.

If that guy’s island has features that took a year to build then he’s saving someone a year of work - as they say, time is money. Also, as ajc158 said, it’s an investment. It’s not stupid if it benefits you in the long run.

Obviously, the stupid people will be the ones at the end when the idea caves in and they’ve just paid a few million for a virtual city that just gets wiped from a hard drive. But again, it’s no more stupid than buying a painting for that price that could get damaged by moisture.

Everything in this world is volatile and temporary just like the virtual world. This, like all things, is just another method of distracting people from their meaningless lives.

Incredibly stupid.

Yet, at the same time, intriguing…

I can inmagine spending 13.700 dollar which you earned in a game, know as game credits, but in actually real dollars? No way I never would do that.
And what’s the sence? About 1 year the game is outdated and you lost your 13.700 dollar. Well that sounds like a spoil of money. :stuck_out_tongue:

It was 13,700 GBP, which is about 23,838 USD (using the conversion £1 = $1.74). That’s €20379. You can buy a pretty good car with that money.

Everything in this world is volatile and temporary just like the virtual world. This, like all things, is just another method of distracting people from their meaningless lives.

Which begs the question, what is the meaning of life???

Well, that’s easy!! To be happy. So, it’s only meaningless if your not happy, and the only way to be happy is if you make it that way. Right?

Yeah you´re right. Stupid people are more happy. Proven fact.

Yeah you´re right. Stupid people are more happy. Proven fact.

What about the smart people that have learned to take advantage of stupid people? This virtual landlord is a perfect example.

I thought the meaning of life and everything else was 42. :x

I get the urge to create a complex landscape and sell it for a few thousand anyone want to help? split the cash 70-30 :wink:

Well if money makes him happy thats great. Then it works both ways. So I don´t see any harm in this.

I mean. People play online mmrpg games and pay monthly 15-20$. Would you call that stupid. People are having fun for a measly 15$ a month.

But look in the article:

300,000 people are having fun. Right?!?

Ok, if someone spends that much on something that frivolous then they have to be pretty loaded in the first place. In addition, playing that game is fun for them and makes them happy.
While everyone here is getting worked up about this, they’re out there having fun in their own little way.

Who’s “smart” now?

I don’t think it’s any more frivolous than a really expensive car. I’m a pianist, so I would jump at the opportunity to have an $80,000 piano, and I’m sure most people would just stare and roll their eyes. But if I could afford it and it made me happy, why not?
Problem is, I can’t afford it, but that’s another story…

You’re absolutely right Valarking, if you can afford it why not buy it?

Because. It. Isn’t. Real.

I think that sums it up pretty much.

I think that sums it up pretty much.[/quote]

I agree. Some people get into some things too much, and make it thier lives. They escape with no intention of coming back, which is sad.

I think that sums it up pretty much.[/quote]

I agree. Some people get into some things too much, and make it thier lives. They escape with no intention of coming back, which is sad.[/quote]

Hmm. One day they’ll come back… you should never leave without saying goodbye… that is a sin itself.