Vista of XP - Do you really like it more?

Rad,
until your reply (quoted above) i assumed that “an accordion player with a beeper” was an optimist. But that is no longer the case … now.

As far as Vista goes … it’s a sad thing. The other day I was tutoring someone and because the student had a hard time setting paths in blender i agreed to go there and do it for him. During that session, additional maintainance needed to be performed including updating the gfx driver.
I felt bad because there i was sitting not knowing what exactly to do because i have become a Linux user and only do a little bit of flash work in XP running in virtualbox.
Speaking of, with the ability of running Adobe apps under virtualbox or wine, the Windows OS is not really needed anymore for freelance gfx and web design.

hey, cub! how are you running photoshop? under xp? I run photoshop cs2 on wine pretty well…

I’ll just stick with what I have. I’m from the win 3.11 era so anything above that is still flashy and futuristic to me. And yes, I have started on dos . . . so win 3.11 is a leap.

But wouldn’t it be nicer if you had the same computer with a better, more efficient operating system? I’d love to have a really powerful system, and I wouldn’t waste it with Vista. I’d probably install Gentoo or Arch or maybe even FreeBSD, with a nice, light WM like XFCE or wmii. Just because computers keep getting better doesn’t mean that operating systems have to get worse. Seriously.

Well MS was never known for good interface design.

I have to say that some aspects in VISTA seem more organized
but at the same more clustered or hard to reach because of the
security approach.

I had the chance to use it on some other machines and at least with
default installations it seems slower than XP.

The way I see it, is that vista took the bad stuff from XP, and put it together with the bad stuff from OSX (ie it taking a lot of menus to do simple things).

I’m a real stickler about keeping things clean and organized, not having unneeded stuff (some people say my favorite key is delete!), so I’ve gotten vista to work well on an end-user day to day basis.

Good for you, but I don’t feel like reinstalling or mucking about with registries, and Bioshock still does horribly in WINE. Thank you, but I’m keeping my dual-boot.