VL 1.2 Problem

(bmax) #1

how do you enable UV maps in vl?
AND DONT TELL ME TO LOOK IN THE DOCS BECAUSE I ALREADY CHECKED AND IT DOESNT SAY!

thank you.

Tom

(Condorcet) #2

You mean Virtualight 1.2, right? Well, I haven’t used VL in a while, but as I recall it does indeed say how to enable UV maps right in the docs. Look in section 3.13.4.5.1 (I just opened the VLight Interface PDF manual).

If you UV map an object in Blender, and then export it using the VL export script, you’ll then need to 1) copy the UV image file into the appropriate VL directory, then 2) change your object’s shader to a Functional Shader, and 3) change the Color directive to look for the image, e.g.: “Color UVImageMapping(ImageFile(“moon.tga”, BILINEAR))”

Here’s a shader I used once that will display a wood tile texture that I UV mapped onto a plane in Blender:

Declare floormatX = Shader [ FunctionalSurface [
Color UVImageMapping (ImageFile(“FLOOR48.tif”, BILINEAR))
Kd 0.800000011921
Kr 0.2
Ks (0.5, ‘1.0,1.0,1.0’)
PhongSpecularBRDF 36
Kt (0.0, 1.333, ‘1.0,1.0,1.0’)
]
]

Hope that helps

Matt

(Condorcet) #3

Forgot to mention that you should probably change quads to triangles before exporting. VL seems to like triangles better.

A different question: Practically every time I render something using photons and irradiance in VL that was exported from Blender, it crashes my Windows desktop. Anybody else had this problem? I can’t figure it out. I just tried VL 1.3 and and still had the problem. I figure it’s a memory problem, but I’m not sure.

(bmax) #4

it sometimes crashes on my computer too. but i think its because of the ogl…but im not sure.

thanx for the help, dude!

(Jamesk) #5

Try moving the glut-dll out of the vlight folder and put it somewhere else. Suggestion: any system folder in the windows path, e.g. windows/system32/. It’s weird but it works for me…

(Condorcet) #6

thanks, I’ll give it a try.