Volumetric rays in underwater scene

does anyone know how can volumetric light rays be made in an underwater scene

Thank you in advanced

this is the scene to which I want to add the light rays
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9261/whalerend8vf.th.jpg

Maybe this method would be modifiable to something that would work
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/8716/volumejpg3zr.jpg
if its not good enough i will not post the blend but if it is let me know.

can the method be used to make the rays using a texture for the lamp, and not a plane ???

as far as i know it has to be a mesh=for example a subidivided plane.

I will do a test though of using alpha in texture, but that will maybe take a lot of time.
hmm Flight would have an immediate answer probaply

I want to figure lot of volumetric lighting for a next project of mine, well if i ever get it actually started.

i tried alfamap but no light rays pass through:rolleyes: :frowning:

You can use a cloud texture in the World material Mist, if you look at my site ( see my signature for links) you will see what I mean, unfortunatly I don’t have my computer until Friday, so I can’t access the blends to remind myself how I did it.

Ken

tried alfamap but no light rays pass through:rolleyes: :frowning:

me too ):
Kencanveys method sounds good. But me don´t want to wait untill friday.
Someone mentioned long time ago about punch of dupliverted planes
, i will run a test of that, since currently i do know how to go about world settings…

:slight_smile: on your site there is was a blend file in which i saw how you did the rays …:smiley:

yupi , it worked :o :smiley:
here the result :slight_smile:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7504/whalerend11sg.th.jpg

thanks j and kencanvey

I am working on an under water animation and am having problems with the volumetric rays as well. my problem is I want to pan the cam from looking up to down. I am using a something like jo showed. I found I had to adjust the halo intensity as the angle of the view changes. but it seems to be working good. I rotated the shadow planes and used a wave modifier on them. also I pressed the env button to make them invisible but still cast shadows. I will try to up load a blend later tonight if I can get it working good. also I am trying to use the sequence editor to compost the different llighting elements together to create a good looking under water animation.

Amuntianu : Looks good, glad to see my method worked OK, I didn’t think of saying just copy the blend:rolleyes:.

Did you notice that I mapped the texture to an Empty? This was for when I was animating, and did not want to have the shafts follow the camera, and so I could change the angle of the shafts:).

Are you going to animate your scene, would look really good.

See ya

Ken

after i add some more details to the scene i will try to animate , although i suck at animations

Amuntianu…

How did you get Ken’s scene to brighten up?

I downloaded the file and rendered it… and it is SO dark…

I asked this in another thread about his blend and haven’t heard anything back yet…

Cujo

i didn’t :frowning: i only looked at the way he made the rays , sry

Hi Cujo

I just went to my backups of the blends for my underwater scenes, when I render them in the latest blender, they are dark? I wonder if somthing has changed that would affect lighting? Can’t try older Blender versions as I don’t have them available.

Oh well, when my main (Fast :D) PC is up i’ll have a look at these again.
Ken

Try adjusting Exposure value in the World buttons.

%<

What I’ve done to make very fast light rays is made a grid and punched a bunch of holes in it. Then I shoot a Spot lamp with a Halo through this grid, and set the sample values up so that the grid makes shadows in the halo. This has worked well for me, and doesn’t take too long to render. Also, by moving the lamp and the grid, you can animate the light rays pretty effectively.

Further to Rendasher’s post I would suggest the old GOBO trick for tree shadows. That is to have 2 (leaf like or rather ripple like) meshes to occlude the rays, and gently rotate or move (in only 1 plane) them aginst each other. This should add a bit of variation to the shafts and eliminate any repetition of texture in the background.

What about those cool caustics on the sea bed? Are they just texture maps with an interesting overlay type?

D