VR and Architecture Design

Hi everyone,

Right now I’m trying to design my future home and it’s kind of tough to get a sense of scale/size. I wonder if anyone is using a VR headset for architectural design, would be help with the sense of scale? I’m strongly thinking about the Valve Index for this.

I think this VR stuff is overblown. Yes you can walk into it and experience it differently but also with its own flaws.

Nice to have as a visual - not so sure about usefulness as a design tool

I’m an architect, and can tell you that VR and AR tools are being used throughout the industry at an ever-increasing rate, both in presentations to clients and as an internal design tool. Definitely worth considering if you’re planning a major project like that.
That being said, I’d recommend you think about using the basic low-tech method of drawing things out on paper, at least in initial stages - it’s a lot faster than trying to model things in 3D and allows you to hash out more ideas easily. Try to draw things at a fixed scale, so your drawings have a similar feel to them, which will let you quickly get a feel for how the spaces will work (I usually sketch things at about 1:100 scale (1’-0"=1/8" if you’re in the backwards part of the world). There are various references you could use in terms of the space you need for particular things, but they’re mostly printed (Neufert, Architectural Graphic Standards, etc. - not cheap, but worth getting if you’re serious about it). I haven’t been able to locate a really good guide online. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

1 Like

Maybe my initial wording was to harsh.

I have the VR equipment and also teach it. For experiencing a space it is pretty nice.
I think some people remember the AR VR stuff from Iron man and want to design this way.
I find for precision work this is rather difficult with what we have at the moment.

Aka I find the tech is not there yet to be a true replacement for modeling with mouse and keyboard.

I wasn’t even thinking of Iron Man style VR. When I said working with it as a design tool, I meant only as a way to get sensory feedback for further design using more traditional methods. Modeling in a VR environment would be pretty sweet, but I haven’t seen anyone work that way yet.

1 Like

thanks for the input…I cheated and found a temporary solution, I used a 3d person to scale and put it in the scene lol

I am currently planning a couple of extensions to my house.
I have a HTC Vive and imo it is a great tool for feedback. Simple renderings are good but it is too easy to fool the eye with “wrong” focal lengths. With VR you get what it “really” looks like.
I would absolutely recommend it esspecially because - compared to what you are going to pay for your house - the headsets price will be next to nothing.

1 Like

I probably should of mention, I only have 1 working eye so it might not totally help me still semi interested in Valve Index before the end of the year.

That does not matter. You only lose part of the mechanism that creates the perception of depth. But you do not have that in real life either so you are used to it.

What is important is that the image you see is not distorted as it would be through a camera lens. And that your field of view is close to what you have in real life.
Look at the same image rendered through a 18mm lens and a 120mm lens. It is completely different. And both are completely “wrong”. In VR you get it right.

1 Like

Then you selected the perfect avatar ! this is good to know about your eye.

Lumpengnom has a good point about view angle. Everything digital is not like your eyes can see.

Son you actually did not cheat with using a figure. I use that all the time.
I use Makehuman and pose people when designing furniture together with dimension charts to keep standards!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not cheating at all, I don’t model anything without a person for scale, it’s replaced my default cube in my startup file.

And VR can be super helpful in getting the sizes right. I only have a rather un-fancy Oculus Quest, but the Oculus software lets you view a virtual desktop while still being in the environment (although it’d be nice if it wasn’t dimmed). I sometimes use that to model in Blender, at least for the rough shapes. It’s actually quite usable as long as you scale up Blender’s UI a bit and have no issue touch-typing.

1 Like

Hm maybe time to upgrade my equipment