(VSE) Audio in Meta-Strips Plays Beyond Strip Cut

The bug fix seems to work. I haven’t tried the multitrack mixdown but that sounds cool to. It looks like I will have to submit my f-curve issue as a seperate bug.

Yours DMc

Hmmm. I think multi-track mixdown will be very helpful, but doesn’t necessarily apply to the original situation.

I missed your f-curve issue, but you seem to be a real VSE guru, so I think it’s likely a legit bug.

I performed a quick test last night and the “playback outside cut” bug seems to be addressed. I had a similar issue a couple months ago but it related to overlapping audio playback.

Yes the fading of audio in copy-pasted meta-strips is a big deal for me. And I agree that retaining trims from meta strips when de-compsing them (un-meta), i essential. Though Jump-to-cut script does this sort of. It works by allowing you to select a portion of some source strips, mark them in-out, then copy them to the clipboard. Later you paste them where you want in their short form.

Cleverly, it achieves this by making a little meta strip of the source, copying it to clipboard them pasting and decomposing it back again.

Hey there David, I just found out that you can keep keyframes in a meta strip by using shift-D (duplicate) instead of Copy>paste. However that doesn’t help if you are moving strips from one scene to another :frowning:

I guess there is a metadata handling difference between copying and duplicating (the later being an instance?), which is odd as you can still edit the instanced version independently of the original…

Update: Now non meta-ed strips seem to be broken!
I have a file that, when the strip is trimmed and copied to a new spot the audio will play outside its trimmed start. This only occurs when overlapping another audio strip of the same type (a movie strip).

EDIT: hmm, I created a stripped down version of the timeline and tried to pack the audio for a bug report. Blender crashed (again), upon restarting the audio worked fine! Sheesh. I will try copy paste to break it again, but I don’t understand what is going on now.

EDIT:
OK, when I have copied a strip (or portion) with audio between scenes, occasionally there is an audio overlap (outside of trimmed ends) and the trimmed audio plays where it shouldn’t. I save the .blend and re-open it from recent projects. This clears the problem up.

3PointEdit,

I know what you mean about odd problems popping up, then vanishing just as strangely.

I had so many problems with audio strips (this was the first time I’d ever used the VSE for a video with somewhat sophisticated audio; in the past I’d just dealt with a narration track and maybe a music track beneath that) that I just kept updating my bug report until it began to look a little bit like me just whining.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498&aid=31099&group_id=9

Given all the bizarre problems that I had - and that you seemed to have - I suspect (though I don’t know) that there probably needs to be a fairly dramatic overhaul to how the VSE handles audio.

However, the good news is that, usually, there were were some work-arounds which, although clumsy and time-consuming, did ultimately get the job done (though not optimally, of course). For example, very often, tweaking the audio keyframes in the graph curve window rather than the dope sheet allows you to adjust the volume.

Or another work-around is if, instead of duplicating video/audio strips (through Shift+D or any copy/paste function), if you instead re-import the source file and make a whole new cut, very often that will work.

But…these types of work-arounds are obviously imperfect, both in terms of time, reliability, and their later flexibility. So these were just proxy solutions for me. Overall, I do hope the great people at Blender go to town on the audio strip thing.

I seriously doubt that anyone at the Blender institute wants to have anything to do with audio. Sadly.

In a similar vein, I was doing some speed ramps with the speed strip effect. I wanted to re-time frames to other positions in their strip, but keyframing each frame resulted in freeze frames. Then I discovered that when I moved away from the keyframe and bumped the slider (it woild snap back to it’s place) the keyframes would start working.

I think that activity and calls for actions in the VSE are less than perfect and I’m gratefull for the tiny functionality we have. You should have seen it before!

Well, if the Blender Institute isn’t going to fix Blender, then that’s not a good sign! Unfortunately, I can’t really.

But I definitely am grateful for everything.

Separately, you mentioned “speed ramps”. Do you have a tutorial for those? I just searched the Wiki and found nothing. (I’m assuming that Speed Ramps would allow the user to make the image get progressively faster or slower. For instance, at the first second, it’s at 150% speed, then the next second it’s at 200% speed, then 250%, etc., etc. Right?)

Thats right, thats the theory. Practice is flaky so I prefer not to try and demo it :frowning: took me 1/2 hour to make it work.
EDIT:
You talked me into it, pretty soon this will be live:

Okay. That’s cool to know that it’s out there. I’d definitely be interested in any tutorial - either a video or screencaps.

I think that I covered all the bases in the tutorial (except contracting time for a timelapse). Hopefully you can see what is required to get it to work the way you want.

Oh, epic! You are the VSE stud, 3PointEdit!

Thanks again!

Update about the key frames being ignored, I submitted a bug and Sergey pointed out the issue.
So this is what you have to do after setting or changing key frames:

While it seems that there is a bug in the speed effect, like it forgets to update when you are keyframing the Speed Factor value or the Frame Number value, you must press the “Refresh Sequencer” button. That forces Blender to check all f-curves etc.

Really? I’ll have to check this out later on. If the solution is THAT easy…I don’t know if I’m going to be relieved that I know how to do it now or angry that I wasted dozens of hours yelling at my computer monitor trying to use work-arounds!

Thanks for reporting and sharing Sergey’s solution, by the way.

Well I don’t think that it applies to audio keyframes. As an example of their bugginess check out this YT clip I made for bug tracker. Sadly it drops frames but you get the idea I hope.
I pressed all the buttons available to refresh, they just didn’t help. And I have seen broken f-curves before, not accepting new keyframes. Did you send examples to bug tracker?

I was just playing with the mixdown feature in the scene tab and found Flac format audio the most stable. Next time you get into issues with camera audio try a mixdown and replacement of your source audio strips.

BTW it didn’t fix the pitch effect bug.

Oh, alright. Sergey’s “Refresh Sequencer” suggestion mostly applies just to video problems, not all the audio ones I’ve been complaining about.

When I submitted the Bug and made the replies, I did submit a .Blend and multiple screencaps. (My CPU is way too slow for effective screencasting, but I think that that technique is very good.) So I did about as much as I can do. But I ran into SO MANY problems with the audio that, really, it was very difficult for me to try and list them all. But, like I said, I documented as much as I could, as crisply as I could.

Thanks again for the instructions on the Speed Ramp. I’m about positive that I’ll be putting that to use in the future (and I sure could’ve used it at points in the past, too!)

I was doing a little corporate video last year that I thought I could manage in Blender. The video went well, but the audio problems (playing outside trimmed ends and keyframes failing) nearly sent me crazy!

I think that copying>pasting trimmed meta strips is mostly to blame.

Oh, yeah. I’m not nearly as skilled as you or many of the other people here. And when I’m working on a paid project and there’s a deadline, and I run into problems…that’s the MOST frustrating thing in the world.

In this case, it was merely frustrating, not hair-pulling frustrating, because this is just a Star Wars fan documentary for myself, really. So I’m in no huge rush. But it is still frustrating.