VSE; I can't load files.

Blender 2.56a, Linux.
I can’t load any video or audio files into the sequence editor. Just pictures.
File name and location doesn’t matter, they all get the error" File (name) could not be loaded".
ffmpeg and Gstreamer are both up to date.
What am I missing?

Well, I’m no expert but I think it might help to download the latest version of Blender.
2.58a just came out officially.

If you use old Blender with new Linux distros, then perhaps you’ll get conflicts with libraries like ffmpeg because they are always changing their APIs.

P.S. I import all sorts of different kinds of video into Blender and am running Ubuntu 11.04 x64.

This is weird indeed.
Can you start blender from the command line and report here any error messages you get when importing movie clips?
+1 on using one of the latest versions btw.
Depending on how you you’ve compiled ffmpeg (or the options of the complied version you got from the repos), some video and audio formats might not be supported but most would load without problems.
Have you tried different video formats? Does your version of blender find all requisite libs? What does the following command return when you run it in the blender folder?

ldd blender | grep not

From command line:
[email protected]:~$ blender
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/blender/scripts/modules/bpy/utils.py”, line 128, in register_module_call
register()
File “/home/ric/BlendStuff/Add-ons/add_curve_sapling.py”, line 1216, in register
bpy.utils.register_class(AddTree)
AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘register_class’
not an anim: /home/ric/Videos/Blaylock_nutrition.mp4
solved
I’ve down loaded 2.58a, and it can handle all the video and audio files. Its not installed properly though. I’ll try to compile from scratch.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/CMake