VSE selecting strips (audio)

hopefully the correct forum. I am having a problem with selecting audio strips in the VSE. I am using a song to trigger animations. What is different is that I am using 15 tracks, each track is a separate instrument in the song. Collectively, it plays the whole song.

If I stack each track in the VSE, the “song” plays back as it should, hearing all the parts, no problem. However, I can’t click or select any other tracks below the one on top, in the VSE.

Is this the limits of the VSE? Or, am I not doing something, or is it a setting… etc… Can not select anything below the top most track.

I understand that maybe the VSE may not support this, but, thinking of situations were a video could have a lot of audio going on, it makes no sense.

I have tried the properties panel for the tracks, but, nothing… any clues? I could provide a video of my process if needed…

I need this to work because I am trying to use Animation Nodes to trigger the animations using the sound support it has. It would be nice to be able to move a section of audio, just in case I needed too.

If I stack each track in the VSE, the “song” plays back as it should, hearing all the parts, no problem. However, I can’t click or select any other tracks below the one on top, in the VSE.

That is very very odd… and not something I’ve experienced before. I cuse VSE a fair bit, and normally you can select any strips you like, use B to select multiple strips, select just the ends of strips, etc.

Maybe needs a re-install?

I get the beta every couple of days… Not sure if it is a setting or something. Typically, I thought you could just click an item in the track to select it. Is that wrong?

You can test what I am doing just by placing any audio you want on top of each other. For me, I just make sure everything drops to the first frame. The end lengths won’t matter… so, any audio would work. When you play it back expect to hear everything at the same time.

Using Animation Nodes, you can trigger any animation based on the audio, so, separating a song into the various instruments would give a great amount of control on your animation.

Like I said, I can put together a video, and I will, but, may be a while to get to it…

You can right click a track and select it, but right click around the middle, as you can just select the end of a track.

doesn’t work for me… weird…

just figured it out … VSE doesn’t work with left click select.

1 Like