Before I dive into what I know is going to be a lengthy post, I figure I should give a short synopsis for the TL:DR Crowd.
What do you think about this model?
- I am looking for feedback and constructive criticism on my VTOL Jetbike model from people familiar with CG art.
- While feedback on the simple temporary shaders I have put on the model, and the very quick compositor pass I put on this is appreciated, really, I am wanting feedback on the model, since the materials and compositing is just to make this slightly more interesting than a simple clay render.
- In particular, I want to know if 172k polygons (without the subsurf turned on) is too high poly for this model.
Ok, now that the short version is done, here is a more detailed exposition about my project…
After coming to these forums before and realizing that I was terribly noobish and basically didn’t have the most rudimentary skill sets to fully utilize this forum, I spent about 6 months in the virtual woodshed to hone my skills to a base level of respectability and to try and not be a drain upon this fine community. To celebrate 6 months of focused work and reemerge from the woodshed, I decided to work on a complete, high poly model of a VTOL Jetbike born completely from my own imagination.
The criteria that I put forth to myself to make this a good model were as follows:
- The model must be complete, capable of being rendered from almost any angle with a pleasing shape and a moderate to high level of detail.
- The model will be made without use of modeling sheets of any kind. Looking at a picture of something for some inspiration is acceptable, but I will not load anything into blender itself. This is to hone my artistic eye.
- At the end, this will be modeled, textured, and rigged as efficiently as I can.
So far, I have shown some early stages of this to a few of my friends, but the most experience they have with CG is watching movies and playing video games. Their responses have been something to the effect of “Well, it looks nice, but why is it just grey? Can’t you add a hot chick riding it, and maybe some crazy city skyline behind it?” If it were only as easy as “Add -> Mesh -> Sexy Jetbike Pilot”…
What I am looking for is some feedback on the model itself from people who understand that you have got to have the geometry built before you can and some textures and then build an interesting scene around it so it’s something other than an intellectual and artistic exercise.
To try and preemptively answer some questions about how this was built, I used both box and poly by poly modeling techniques with some bezier curves thrown in for hoses. The inspiration is something along the lines of a “flying Ducati” built for performance with an agressive silhouette, something like a bird of prey. It is 172K polygons with the subsurf modifiers turned off, and every object that isn’t a bezier curve has subsurf modifier at level 2, and the bezier curves have a resolution set to 2.
Any questions will be answered, any comments and/or constructive criticisms will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your time, and happy blending!