VW Vacationwagon Diorama

Been working on this in my free time after work, and on the weekends. The project was inspired by my love for older vehicles and renovated campers. After a month, and 75GB of substance files and whatnot, finally calling this one done. The blend file alone, with no textures is 452MB lol.
Modeled in Blender and Zbrush
Textured in Substance Painter
Rendered with Cycles
Post in Photoshop

Huge shoutout to @Yukon, creator of Graswald. It was suuuper helpful for the environment on this, and worth every penny!

Uncropped

B&W Sepia

Clay Render

Bus Model

Bus Clay

Bus Wireframe

You can see some more of my work here if you’re interested.

81 Likes

Hey, Joey! I know I just commented on your post over on FB, but I logged in to here for the first time in ages and thought I may as well start using this site again. So much great work on here.

Something I didn’t mention is that the materials look great! I like the dust on the car, for instance. Did it take a lot of time to do that? It looks fairly well distributed instead of just random. I like the lighting as well, and the little roots coming out of the bottom. That’s a clever addition.

1 Like

Hey James, thanks :smiley: I painted the dust on in Substance, but it didn’t take too long. It’s just a roughness and color variation + hand painted masks, mixed with a couple grunge masks for extra variation :slight_smile:
Lighting was mostly an HDRI from hdrihaven, with a couple area lights for highlighting specific spots. Funny you mention the roots, I wasn’t entirely sure if they worked for the scene, and almost removed them at one point. In the end I think they break up the bottom silhouette nicely though, so glad I kept them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’m glad you did keep them! I think they add a bit of character to the image.

That’s cool, I use HDRIs from HDRI Haven all the time. Was it Spruit Sunrise?

Substance Painter looks fun, perhaps I’ll try it out sometime!

2 Likes

It was indeed Spruit Sunrise :joy: Greg’s an absolute legend.

Painter is amazing, definitely give it a go.

A breakdown video of sorts…

2 Likes

Really nice work man, thanks for mentioning me, I love to see what people do with the stuff I create!
Keep it growing :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you so much man, and absolutely. There’s a lot of great stuff out there made with your addon as well. Your gallery on your website is absolutely stunning!

1 Like

This is Awesome!

1 Like

Ah looks amazing! I do want to travel on this one!

1 Like

Thank you so much guys :smiley:

I featured you on BlenderNation. Stay safe, and have a great week!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Bart! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Omg, thank you so much Bart! :grin:

1 Like

Ha, I knew I’d see this one up on the top.

Well done man, this is fantastic. The scene with the grass and the trees is beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you soo much Nitram! And yeah, you called that one super early! I’m super psyched to have it featured, that’s a huge milestone for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Super. Great mood!

1 Like

Wonderful work, and great atmosphere! :slight_smile:
And if I ever have the money for it, I would love to own one of those :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Wonderful work. The light is so beautiful.

1 Like