I thought I share this one. I am battling through changes in Blender 2.8 (new collection system and selection update bugs, left click ) and try out awesome addons like #boxcutter #hardops #batchops and #kitops, a lot of ops :). The only way to learn is to chew through, it is still lot’s of fun !
I work kind of non linear (Coming from Softimage), not the wisest decision but hey, gotta try it out. This means I model, animate and shade at the same time or whenever I want to change something…
The design is inspired by Otomo Katsuhiro, a poster he made. It did not get out of my brain and I had to try modeling it! Let me know what you think. Cheers!
Here some tech details:
I hybrid started the project using Fusion 360 and Blender to see what the benefits or problems during the workflow are. In the end I can establish a pipeline to push data back and forth.
The biggest problem I encountered with exporting meshes from Fusion 360 is that I modelled and rigged the finger but then there was no way to export the hrigged hierarchy/joints/origin points. I worked around and had to place a cube at every rotation point I wanted to use and set up the origins/joints in Blender by hand.
The second problem was that exporting to meshes in Fusion 360 produces different results depending on how and in what format you export. STL, FBX, OBJ are meshed differently and there is a discrepancy in scale too. You can not find any options to control the meshing unless you use the 3D-Printing addon to export to STL.
Lets get to some imagery, all work in progress:
Here is how it started, A thumb…
Then I took it to Blender 2.8 and messed around using an early version of #hardops and #boxcutter
Having fun using #eevee Here you see the base mesh and behind, the detailed one, cut up using #boxcutter
Finger time in Fusion 360
Size comparison to check proportion
A little bit of #boxcutter to see the effect on the finger basemesh
Then… #kitops for Blender 2.8 was released! Testing it on a mesh
Time to think about the palm mechanism
Let’s animate a finger
Import the palm
and get the fingers rigged and in place. I have to redo the whole thing again using bones. For now it is all made up from simple parenting.
Some dopeness (What a pain, until i found that animations are saved as actions)
The state as of today. Here I started to fill in rough blocks for the hand mechanism, afterwards I’ll refine the whole thing. Since the imported meshes from Fusion 360. I am still not sure if I just remodel everything in Blender, using the imported meshes as reference. This would give me more control over the mesh quality. That way, the detailing using #boxcutter and #kitops should be easier. Let’s see where it goes from now.