Wahrk Viewing Platform from Myst: Riven

I’ve been replaying some of my Myst games lately, and decided to make a scene from Riven to see if I could. So here it is:

{Update At Bottom}

And a Wireframe:

Modeled entirely in Blender with Internal Renderer. All textures are procedural. AO done with Buffer-shadow lamps. Glow done in Compositor. Wahrk (the fish thing) is entirely rigged.

Cheers,
John

great work…and you have a powerful pc.

Wow, that’s awesome. It makes me want to dig those games back up!

Very nicely done.

Looks great, I can really remember that scene in the game.
But maybe you should work some more on materials and textures.

/ Mats

This maybe acurate to the game, i wouldn’t know, but form a non-player point of view this looks a bit too murky for my liking.

good work

this work screams :- put bright caustics in me .

Good Luck :slight_smile:

I love the old Myst games.

One thing though, the circles need to be a bit more subdivided. I can see the edges.

Thanks for all the comments.

Concerning textures, I’m wondering exactly what textures need updating fixing.

The objects that make up the viewer just in front of the camera are meant to be sort of edgy, as they are almost hexagonal or octagonal in the game.

I’ll brighten stuff up a bit and reupload soon™.

Cheers,
John

Here’s a far brighter version with colors that reflect more Myst than Riven. Tell me what you think.

Cheers,
John

This new version has a more painterly feeling I think. The way I remember the first version, it had more depth and volume, didn’t it?

By textures I meant, for example, the gears in the game were made of metal, but could in your image be wood or even clay. Metals should have more specularity. So, I like your scene, but the textures do need more work.

/ Mats

Ah, I’m just going to move onto the next project. That was mainly a test. Here’s the next piece of artwork from Riven :smiley:

A WIP of course.

Cheers,
John

Looks great!

How did attach the ropes to the poles?

/ Mats

Copy a paste really. Then I used array and spin duplicate.

Wee update:

Cheers,
John